Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain and light sensor issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my intermittent wiper stopped working but the constant option works fine on both speeds.

I replaced the rain and light sensor twice and still have an issue but it seems to work on intermittent option once in a while.

I made sure to hold onto a firmware update before replacing the sensor and then applied it.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks

More information would be helpful but if your car is an older one then that's just how they function. I set the auto sense feature and they almost never begin themselves even in heavier rain. If you manually trigger them they will then sometimes sense a little bit more but even that isn't a constant. From a company who touts their focus on safety they sure missed the boat on that most basic of safety functions as they've never worked properly as compared to vehicles I've owned from the early 2000's. No updates are coming to save them either, sadly.

More information would be helpful but if your car is an older one then that's just how they function. I set the auto sense feature and they almost never begin themselves even in heavier rain. If you manually trigger them they will then sometimes sense a little bit more but even that isn't a constant. From a company who touts their focus on safety they sure missed the boat on that most basic of safety functions as they've never worked properly as compared to vehicles I've owned from the early 2000's. No updates are coming to save them either, sadly.
2015 and that's not how they function. I've has 2 Ss and know how the wiper should function and they never needed to be triggered.

Are you a Tesla service employee? That's the answers they put out there.

2015 and that's not how they function. I've has 2 Ss and know how the wiper should function and they never needed to be triggered.

Are you a Tesla service employee? That's the answers they put out there.
Well, I've had six now over the years so I think I have a pretty good idea how they work and they basically don't. It's been one of my biggest annoyances with this cars since our 2013 back in the day. Tesla employee.... ROFL Read my posts and ask yourself if a Tesla employee would be willing to call out Tesla on their blatant BS on a regular basis the way I do.

Reactions: chrisdh79
Had a lot of rain here the past couple days and my auto wipers performed poorly as always (2021 Model Y). At times the whole window was covered in heavy rain but the wipers seemed to think everything was just fine, no need to sweep ;)

Surprisingly bad. Thought they would have fixed this by now.

The rain sensing on my 2013 S has always seemed fine. It's sensitive enough to run the wipers even for a light drizzle, let alone anything I would call "rain."

If your S is old enough to have a real rain sensor, and it's not turning the wipers on automatically, I think there's something wrong with your car and it should be possible to fix.

On the current model, is there no longer a rain sensor? How is the need for wipers determined? Cameras?
My recollection is AP2.0 and newer S lack a typical rain sensor and, yes, use the cameras instead. Though I'd love to learn if I'm wrong about that!

Model 3 and Y have used the cameras instead of a normal rain sensor since those models were introduced. I've only driven my new 3 once in the rain so far (the drive home from the delivery center!). The sensing worked fine that day, but I have read a lot of complaints about it in various weather conditions.

Reactions: rjpjnk
There are a couple of things I am looking into. The first being to see if cleaning the area where the sensor fits is clean. And the second being the rubber part of the sensor making full contact with the windshield.

The sensor is designed to sense vibration from rain hitting the windshield.

I was driving my 2022 Model S today in wet conditions & the wipers wouldn't auto activate regardless of me changing settings so I had to manually activate each time. They've activated in the past so I'm wondering if the sensor area needs cleaned. Where is the sensor located?