Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain not beading on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wipers stuttered on my model 3 if not enough rain on it. the problem went away with new wipers.

RainX coating imho is crap because it leaves momentary streaks after wiping which is annoying in light rain.
Imho a quality sealant is better i.e. spray sealant or something like jetseal.
I would say that the quality of the beading is maybe 90% that of RainX but it lasts longer and no annoying streaking.

I can think of 3 possible causes of your wiper chatter:

1) The glass, despite being cleaned, still has some contaminants bonded to it and needs to be polished to get the contaminants off.
2) Despite the blades being new, there is something on the rubber of the blades, such as a wax or sealant, that needs to be cleaned off.
3) The wiper blade arm is not holding the blade against the window with enough pressure and something in the arm mechanism needs to be adjusted. If you gently and lightly pull slightly on the wiper, does it snap back into place or does it feel a bit loose? If it is at all loose, it needs to be tightened or adjusted.

Hi, hgmichna,
Just curious, what do you disagree with? Not asking out of being defensive or anything like that. Just really curious to know. Please post a reply when you can.
Thanks,
joebruin77

Hi, hgmichna,
Just curious, what do you disagree with? Not asking out of being defensive or anything like that. Just really curious to know. Please post a reply when you can.
Thanks,
joebruin77

I think you got all three points the wrong way around. Or perhaps at least two of three. Wiper chatter happens with new, clean wipers on a clean windshield. Put some wax or almost anything else on the windshield or on the wiper and it ceases. Wiper chatter happens when the wiper pressure is high, not low.

I think you got all three points the wrong way around. Or perhaps at least two of three. Wiper chatter happens with new, clean wipers on a clean windshield. Put some wax or almost anything else on the windshield or on the wiper and it ceases. Wiper chatter happens when the wiper pressure is high, not low.

That's a good point to consider. I am guessing that wiper chatter could happen in either direction with either too much or too little pressure, as I have personally experienced wiper chatter due to the causes I originally referenced.

wax on windshields is a good way for showroom gloss but the only thing it will do is with wipers is grease them up nciely so you get massive streaking and smearing.

• Informative
Reactions: valaeyron
But no wiper chatter, which was the problem being discussed. Just put a tiny little bit of wax on the screen or on the wiper, and the wiper will work smoothly. It depends on the dose.

Better than wax could be a tiny dose of molybdenium disulfide. Or just any bit of dirt. :)