Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain not beading on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an engineer too but I earned the title, not paid a bribe for a piece of paper from some corrupt institution............

How does that work? Did you have to go mano a mano with the lead engineer in a slide rule battle?

Engineering is great (I’m one, too), but it is better to share your knowledge in a positive manner, rather than being condescending.

Ten Thousand

63D7AB56-FA57-41DA-9E8C-310C477C4565.png

You could just have some oily residue on the windshield too. After trying any number of "specialty" windshield products over the years, my go to for a clean windshield is pretty basic. I simply wash the car (inc. windshield of course) and then I wax it with Meguiar's cleaner wax (a cleaner/wax combo I've returned to multiple times over the years for cars that aren't beauty queens). Once it hazes, I buff it off and then clean off the remaining wax with either Sprayway (from the local grocery store) or Invisible Glass cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Cle...ds=meguiars+cleaner+wax&qid=1603145400&sr=8-1

I have optionally done rain-x over the years, but some combos or car windshield and wiper seem to work better with it that others (i.e. I've gotten chatter with some cars and not others) - YMMV.

Good Luck!

Reactions: imola.zhp
Music itself is not a legitimate life skill, a better understanding of science can help them every day. I am not saying music shouldn't be taught but it seems to have taken priority over actual useful skills.

wow, that’s a bit narrow minded. It may not be useful to YOU, and while it may not be the most successful career (although there are shining stars too) it can certainly pay the bills just fine, and I bet musicians in general are a lot happier and a lot less uptight / wound up than say, attorneys... I have a lot of attorney friends too, so...no hate there, just saying...

you are likelier to be famous as a musician than famous as a waste water plant engineer...

Hear is another idea:

https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-TEC582-Ceramic-Detail/dp/B07N8CTCLJ

Keeping your windshield clean is important, but glass cleaners can erode coatings over time. So why not use something that both cleans the glass and leaves hydrophobic protection behind in one product. I use this ceramic detail spray to clean the glass and to put ceramic, hydrophobic protection on the glass in one step. If you already have a ceramic glass coating on the windshield, you can use this spray to give the ceramic coating a boost. Or you can use it as a stand alone product like I do.

And it definitely works. Once you get above 40 MPH, the water just beads off like crazy and no wipers are necessary. It won't last as long as Rainx. But it is so fast and easy to use, you can apply it once a day or every other day and it works great.

Reactions: TyH2009
Rainx cannot be used according to the manual. It will make noise and uneven friction.

I noticed these issues on my car as well. Dont know why this happens. The only explanation I came up tesla uses some cheap shitty glass. I never had anything like this on my lexus, but i had similar issues on Mitsubishi Galant which is 20 years old.

Rainx cannot be used according to the manual. It will make noise and uneven friction.

I noticed these issues on my car as well. Dont know why this happens. The only explanation I came up tesla uses some cheap shitty glass. I never had anything like this on my lexus, but i had similar issues on Mitsubishi Galant which is 20 years old.

Stop, please stop. The windshield glass is just normal automotive glass like every other car. It doesn't have some special coating, using RainX on it doesn't "cause uneven friction" (whatever that means), doesn't bead water, etc, etc.

To be honest my last 3 BMW’s had shitty windshields. Really soft and would chip really easily. And glass made for HUD aint’ cheap.

Weird, we've had 3 BMW i3's over the past 5 years with no windshield issues. A 2003 330i ZHP before that purchased in 2006, windshield lasted 8 years, replaced only because it was pitted after 80k of highway driving, not cracked.

But this is in regards to Tesla, and OP seems to think there should be some magic coating on the windshield that beads water forever which just isn't a thing.

If you read the comments to my first post, it has been implied that there was a coating from the factory. It wasn’t me that put that idea out there.

I applied rainX last week. Today is the first rainy day since application. Wipers are stuttering significantly. Easily described as ‘uneven friction’. This is the reason I had hesitated to apply rainX in spite of comments on this thread. There are many other threads mentioning this issue; it is also stated in the owners manual that rainX should not be used.

• Disagree
Reactions: ry-ballz
If you read the comments to my first post, it has been implied that there was a coating from the factory. It wasn’t me that put that idea out there.

I applied rainX last week. Today is the first rainy day since application. Wipers are stuttering significantly. Easily described as ‘uneven friction’. This is the reason I had hesitated to apply rainX in spite of comments on this thread. There are many other threads mentioning this issue; it is also stated in the owners manual that rainX should not be used.

Sorry to hear your wipers are doing that. Perhaps if you try cleaning your blades with either an APC or rubber cleaner, the chatter or stutter might go away.

Hope that helps.

So now the question is...did the RainX fix your problem of water beading? Yes yes I know you have a new problem but lets take care of one at a time. :)

I can think of 3 possible causes of your wiper chatter:

1) The glass, despite being cleaned, still has some contaminants bonded to it and needs to be polished to get the contaminants off.
2) Despite the blades being new, there is something on the rubber of the blades, such as a wax or sealant, that needs to be cleaned off.
3) The wiper blade arm is not holding the blade against the window with enough pressure and something in the arm mechanism needs to be adjusted. If you gently and lightly pull slightly on the wiper, does it snap back into place or does it feel a bit loose? If it is at all loose, it needs to be tightened or adjusted.