Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain on rear view camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone solved the problem of obscured vision when there is rain on the rear view camera?
upload_2016-9-29_3-0-59.png

It's not rocket science. This video is 3 years old. I think all VW's have this now.

That's pretty useless. Cool, but useless. It only protects the camera when it's not in use. I keep the camera on at all times while driving - it's basically my rear view mirror since the view out the back is so small with the real rear view mirror and a 7 seater.

That's pretty useless. Cool, but useless. It only protects the camera when it's not in use. I keep the camera on at all times while driving - it's basically my rear view mirror since the view out the back is so small with the real rear view mirror and a 7 seater.
Uh, it will also protect the camera from getting dirty when you are NOT using the car. Say you are parked outside in the dirt road.

Of course not very feature fits every single person. Protecting the camera when not in use is better than no protection at all, not to mention not everyone uses the camera as rear view mirror. I for one hate the camera in view while driving, so distracting.

Uh, it will also protect the camera from getting dirty when you are NOT using the car. Say you are parked outside in the dirt road.

Of course not very feature fits every single person. Protecting the camera when not in use is better than no protection at all, not to mention not everyone uses the camera as rear view mirror. I for one hate the camera in view while driving, so distracting.
You caught me. One of my biggest pet peeves is not considering the views and use cases of others. And here I am doing it myself. Thank you for pointing it out.

And yes, anything will be better than nothing. And to be honest, the X's camera stays cleaner than our previous SUV's. That could just be that we actually care about our X, and wash it every once in a while, and usually wipe off the camera after any driving in the rain. But some sort of active solution that will work when driving in dirty snow and slush would be very welcome. Didn't I see somewhere that the AP2.0 cameras will be heated or something?

Reactions: Trnsl8r
Still a major problem on ap2. I prefer to run my rear camera all the time and when it rains it looks like below. The bigger concern is you see the same screen while backing up in the rain (with a mini rear view mirror and slim rear hatchback window). It doesn't always feel entirely safe especially when backing out of the driveway.

Do not have this issue in our other car where the camera is tucked underneath the rear door handle as well. The MX camera does appear to stick out more. Maybe this is necessary for the wide rear view.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: wesley888
I agree a "hiding" camera doesn't help - I use it all the time. And blowing air wouldn't do much for dried-on gunk or ice. A fine stream of windshield-washer fluid or some other fluid that tends to bead and fall off would actually be the best. You can't do much about the rain while it's raining, but a washer would keep the lens clean so it would be usable again as soon as it dries.

Reactions: 1 person