TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rain on rear view camera

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by volkerbradley, Sep 29, 2016.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Has anyone solved the problem of obscured vision when there is rain on the rear view camera?
    upload_2016-9-29_3-0-59.png

2. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I see that very same picture every time it rains. Fun car but far from perfect.

3. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I tried RainX and got beading and serious distortion. Not a solution.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Duct tape a hair dryer on the back of the car?

I've not driven a car where this doesn't happen.

You should see what happens when you drive through very sticky falling snow...

• Funny x 2
  5. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

It's not just a Tesla issue. I've had the problem on every car I have owned - Lexus, Toyota, BMW & Acura.

• Like x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This has been discussed on TMC literally for years. It is a real issue. Tesla needs to solve it. Seems to me a tiny stream of compressed air on the camera lens, activated whenever the windshield wipers are active, would be a possible solution.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

That'd be so cool. They already have the air compressor for SAS.

8. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

It's not rocket science. This video is 3 years old. I think all VW's have this now.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

That's pretty useless. Cool, but useless. It only protects the camera when it's not in use. I keep the camera on at all times while driving - it's basically my rear view mirror since the view out the back is so small with the real rear view mirror and a 7 seater.

• Like x 1
  10. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

I applied Aquapel and it seems to be working so far.

• Like x 1
  11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I used RainX and got a couple of beads on the lens rather than a smear and it REALLY messed up the view. I wonder if there might be an easy way to direct some airflow across the lens to blow off beaded water.

12. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

After-market subwoofer fixes this. It will vibrate those raindrops right off.

• Funny x 3
  13. outie

outie Member

Uh, it will also protect the camera from getting dirty when you are NOT using the car. Say you are parked outside in the dirt road.

Of course not very feature fits every single person. Protecting the camera when not in use is better than no protection at all, not to mention not everyone uses the camera as rear view mirror. I for one hate the camera in view while driving, so distracting.

14. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

You caught me. One of my biggest pet peeves is not considering the views and use cases of others. And here I am doing it myself. Thank you for pointing it out.

And yes, anything will be better than nothing. And to be honest, the X's camera stays cleaner than our previous SUV's. That could just be that we actually care about our X, and wash it every once in a while, and usually wipe off the camera after any driving in the rain. But some sort of active solution that will work when driving in dirty snow and slush would be very welcome. Didn't I see somewhere that the AP2.0 cameras will be heated or something?