Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain on rear view camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree a "hiding" camera doesn't help - I use it all the time. And blowing air wouldn't do much for dried-on gunk or ice. A fine stream of windshield-washer fluid or some other fluid that tends to bead and fall off would actually be the best. You can't do much about the rain while it's raining, but a washer would keep the lens clean so it would be usable again as soon as it dries.

Good idea. A stream of washer fluid followed by a burst of air should do the trick. Even with snow or ice, if the washer fluid is -45C rated, like we use up here, it will be softened and loosened enough to be blown off by the air. I have no doubt that Tesla is working on something like this for its AP2.0 cameras.

Seriously, though. Nissan's got the right idea. Skip to 30 seconds.

Seriously, though. Nissan's got the right idea. Skip to 30 seconds.

I am not so sure this would work, it looks like they are just putting more drops and bubbles on the lens. I am not sure I trust the video of it working as it is still looks blurry and it does not seem to correlate to the video of their system covering the lens with water and bubbles. And I agree it is a step in the right direction.

Still a major problem on ap2. I prefer to run my rear camera all the time and when it rains it looks like below. The bigger concern is you see the same screen while backing up in the rain (with a mini rear view mirror and slim rear hatchback window). It doesn't always feel entirely safe especially when backing out of the driveway.

Do not have this issue in our other car where the camera is tucked underneath the rear door handle as well. The MX camera does appear to stick out more. Maybe this is necessary for the wide rear view.
Makes you wonder how AP2.0's rear camera will do without wipers on it....

Reactions: Hans Allis
Here is my modification... a little roof for the camera, with a drip edge. So fun to hack a $100K+ car with plastic and electrical tape :)
IMG_0753.jpg

I used RainX and got a couple of beads on the lens rather than a smear and it REALLY messed up the view. I wonder if there might be an easy way to direct some airflow across the lens to blow off beaded water.
I've found Aquapel to work way better than RainX and have been putting it on my rear cameras for over 4 years. It really helps here in rainy Seattle.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and Ulmo
Looks like it works when parked but does it work when driving?
There is still some fine mist that swirls around when during driving that ends up on the lens, but my main concern was addressing the giant droplets that obscure the entire lens. The little droplets are a bit annoying, but I can still see fairly well when they are on the lens. I can't really think of a way to prevent mist will driving.... will have to think on that one a bit!

the cameras on rally cars and race cars have that rotating lens.... driving on snowy roads, and road crud spray is not going to go away with compressed air. need mechanical wiper mechanism or blinking mechanism for optics. I am sure they will figure this out if it becomes essential to full autonomy.