Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rain related intermittent sensor failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven my 2017 MX 100D in the rain before, but I've never seen it behave as badly as it did last week when on a roadtrip. As I pulled out of a SuC, it started to rain (not even very hard), and I was given an alert that "Park Assist" was no longer available (repeatedly, and distractingly). I was actually afraid I'd hit something without knowing it. A few minutes later, it complained the left fender camera was blinded, and NoA was unavailable. And a few miles later, it complained about the left door pillar camera. At this point, the rain was not even very bad. I've driven in much, much worse weather without constant alerts, just "Poor weather detected, NoA unavailable".

As I continued on, the faults would clear, and then re-activate. After the next SuC stop, the park assist warning was gone, but I intermittently got warnings for the left fender and pillar cameras, and sometimes NoA would work. I wanted to take pictures of the fault messages, but not at night, at 70Mph in the rain, and they were clear by the time I got home.

What I'm wondering is: Is newer FW more chatty, and older FW would have just said "poor weather detected, NoA unavailable"? Or does my car have a problem? Why is it always the left side cameras?

I've had the left door pillar camera serviced before when, a day after rain, it was still fogged and complained of being blinded on a clear day.

Drew