Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain - reverse camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

At115

Jun 7, 2021
USA
Are your images for the rear camera bad during rain?

Attachments

• E11B7E48-FF78-4648-9442-D7A9147A86BD.jpeg
    E11B7E48-FF78-4648-9442-D7A9147A86BD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 709
Camera lens + water = blurred vision. Wipe it off.

Repeat.

(Alternatively, you could rig up a snorkel, with the air intake above the lip of the trunk, facing forward. Moving air would blow the water off the lens)

Has anyone tried applying rain-x to it? This happens to my other cars cam from time to time but being in socal where it hardly rains it's not exactly a problem.
From past experience many years ago, rain-x was not friendly with a plastic helmet visor. I would not reccomend it for the camera. Spray with detail spray and use a micro towel. Never use a paper towel. That's like sandpaper.

Honestly, I had a Nissan Qashqai before my Model Y and I never had to clean the cameras in 8 years. It was something I was not worried about ever, and it had back and sides cameras. I got my Model Y a month ago, and I think this is a quite basic problem to have with a car that costs almost double as my previous one.

if you can invent the camera lens that is exposed to the environment does not do that, you will be a billionaire.
Done. Have the camera retract into a housing so it only exposed to elements when called into action. VW, Mercedes have implemented this already. I can’t speak to how well it works or whether it risks for more issues as the plastic motor track get gunked up over time with dust or debris.