TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rain Senseless Wipers

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Beta V, Mar 29, 2018.

?

Do you have problems with the Rain Sense wipers

1. Yes--all the time

14.3%
  2. Yes--but only sometimes

61.9%
  3. No--never. They work fine.

23.8%
  4. No--I don't use them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Beta V

Beta V Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic

I'm a computer/hardware geek. I wish I could see the code used to fire the windshield wipers in the rain. What's so frustrating is that they work flawlessly for days and then, nothing. My only choice is to manually trigger the wipers or switch to "low-speed" mode (which is too fast for most drizzly days).

Yes, it rains here in the Seattle area--sometimes a little, sometimes a lot so it's a great testbed for the wiper software. I've noticed that when there's an update, the wipers have stopped working so I tried a manual reboot but that does not always fix them.

Folks, Tesla needs to step up on this issue.

2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I think they work great, better than some of the other cars I've had that used a rain sensor in fact.

3. Beta V

I think they work fine too--when they work. The problem is, they just stop working for no apparent reason.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I've noticed they seem to do fine with actual drops coming out of the sky, but don't seem to see wheel spray or what I call "mist".

5. mxnym

mxnym Member

I tend to agree that they aren't great with mist. I also saw someone somewhere indicate that they seemed to stop working after updates until they were turned off and back on. I believe that person meant disabled and re-enabled in settings, but they could have mean at the stalk. To elaborate, in my experience, they have continued working after updates without me touching the settings, but I only turn them on at the stalk when I want them on. I will also say that I believe they have improved with updates since they were initially deployed, but I can't say that definitively since every weather event is somewhat unique. My frustration with the wipers is the same regardless of the rain-sensing capability, and that is that there simply aren't enough intermittent/sensitivity options on the stalk.

6. Need

Need Active Member

It seems to work good with it rains hard. Doesn't seem to work with misting like others said. I wish they would keep the two intermittent settings actually just timed intermittent instead of Auto. I guess I could just turn off Auto in the menu and they will go back to intermittent? Right now Auto just not working too well. It is more a chore to get it to work than a convenient feature.

7. Beta V

I now disagree. It's not a "mist" problem. I've had a lot of rain this last week and the wipers for no discernable reason, just failed to work on some (fairly scary) times.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The Rain Sense wipers on my 2013 Model S were ridiculously bad.

The Rain Sense wipers on my 2018 Model X are actually not too bad.

9. mxnym

mxnym Member

The rain sensing wipers in my 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra were awesome, even with rain-x. The rain sensing wipers in my 2017 Tesla Model X are so-so at best, but based on another thread, rain-x would make them far worse.