TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SnoValleyRob, May 15, 2016.

1. SnoValleyRob

SnoValleyRob Member

Are rain sensing wipers currently standard on all Teslas? Is this something that we should fully expect to have even on the base model? My 2008 Mazda 3 GT has them and I've actually really enjoyed them, especially living here in the foothills of the cascades just east of Seattle (weather changes every 5 minutes).

2. Kristian G

Kristian G Member

I think this is standard in most recent cars, would really surprise me if it's not there.

3. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

WHAT?! There are rain sensing windshield wipers? Perhaps I've been living under a rock. That's the coolest thing since headlights that turn of automatically when it gets dark. I'm not even being sarcastic, I've simply been out of the loop.

4. Spidy

Spidy Member

• Informative x 1
  5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

They have been a base-model feature of BMWs for 10years.

"Located on the inner top edge of the windscreen, the rain sensor is activated using the interval control of the windscreen wiper. Using infrared technology, it recognises drops of water on the windscreen and adjusts the speed of the windscreen wiper to suit the intensity of the rain.
    In heavier rainfall or when accelerating to pass a long vehicle, for example, the windscreen wipers automatically increase in pace to ensure unimpeded vision."

• Like x 1
  6. TravelSD80

TravelSD80 Member

Does the S/X have it?

7. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

Yes, it's standard on both. I don't think it's safe to assume it will be standard on the 3, but it could be.

8. Alketi

Alketi Member

They're a blessing or a curse depending on the implementation. I have them on my Audi A4 and hate them. The wipers don't start moving until you're driving over 10MPH, requiring you to manually flip the switch up and down after starting the car, unless you want to drive blind until you get up to speed. They also don't perform flawlessly in mildly rainy conditions, sometimes running at high speeds when there's very little rain. They also get tricked by sunlight. Hopefully Tesla designs theirs better than Audi.

9. eisbock

eisbock Member

I hope there are options to turn it off, as well as auto headlights.

Some doucher was tailgating me the other day, so I gave him the ol' windshield wiper fluid treatment a couple times and it was hilarious. The wipers turned on automatically, then a couple seconds later, the headlights turned on. After 10-15 seconds, the headlights turned off, only for me to repeat the process. Everybody must've thought he was some crazy person constantly turning his head/taillights on and off during a beautiful sunny day.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2