Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers

IFought4U

Apr 17, 2017
Rogers, AR
Can someone explain to me why RSWW is so difficult to activate on my EAP? While you're at it. What's the hold up on reading speed limit signs? Seems like pretty old tech to me.

Reactions: PeterHG

RDoc

S85D
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
My suspicion is that they didn't put sensors into the car that can reliably sense rain. The current rain sensor technology uses a special IR optical system to sense wetness on the surface.

I don't see the reason for not reading speed limit signs, that doesn't sound very hard for machine vision.

Reactions: IFought4U

IFought4U

Apr 17, 2017
Rogers, AR
My suspicion is that they didn't put sensors into the car that can reliably sense rain. The current rain sensor technology uses a special IR optical system to sense wetness on the surface.

I don't see the reason for not reading speed limit signs, that doesn't sound very hard for machine vision.
Thanks. Agreed. I thought maybe the camera they need wasn't on yet.

Words of HABIT

Jan 19, 2013
Canada
For automatic windshield wipers, is there a turn off switch? I can see a lot of these wipers being ripped off in an auto car wash.

Daniel

Stoneymonster

Jan 8, 2013
Aptos, Ca
For automatic windshield wipers, is there a turn off switch? I can see a lot of these wipers being ripped off in an auto car wash.

Daniel

Yes.

Thanks. Agreed. I thought maybe the camera they need wasn't on yet.

Since they had no dedicated rain sensor, they had to implement a neural network to detect what rain looks like on a camera. Not easy.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC