TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rain sensing wipers

Discussion in 'Model X' started by chrisNchris, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chrisNchris

chrisNchris Member

i drove a loaner S the other day, and its wipers would totally stop if there was no rain. Our X isn't sensitive enough sometimes, but most frustrating is when it just keeps going even when there is barely any rain.

Is this a hardware thing or software?

2. RichardL

RichardL Member

I never have this problem - we always keep the wipers on the interval setting and it just comes on when needed and goes away when not (and has been well tested over the last few months in Northern California!)

3. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

On my X the rain sensing wipers are worthless. They do not activate even when the windshield is covered with drops or they do activate on one drop. There is no pattern other than they just don;t work right.

• Informative x 1
  4. rainforest

rainforest Member

Service Centre told me rain sensing wipers don't work yet because they use the AP2 hardware to function, and the software isn't ready yet.

• Like x 1
  5. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

This ^. Mine are pretty worthless as well. They don't sense rain very well.

6. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Mine work great, but I have AP1. Apparently, the front facing camera is what detects the droplets to initiate the wipers.

• Like x 1
  7. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

Chris, given you joined in Nov, I'm guessing you have a car produced after October. If you do, they don't have auto wipers right now. The software was promised in Dec but isn't here yet.

8. hareleyman

hareleyman Member

I too, have a car built in Nov, delivered in Dec, so am assuming I do not have this rain sensor option either ? Without this option, these wipers are very low tech,, as I have said in other threads in regards to lack of luxury comments, of an expensive car!

9. Yinn

Yinn Member

They work great on my former AP1 X. I leave them on a setting and they stay off when there's no rain and turn on when there is...this is not available on my AP2 and it's annoying.