Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensing Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rain sensing would be a neural net running on the same physical hardware core that is already driving the car, and it is seriously underpowered core for the task (this is why Jim Keller is on the job to make it a custom ASIC). So, if the rain sensing wipers come, odds are that if it rains when you are on autopilot it will drive like a drunken sailor :)

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
The rain sensing would be a neural net running on the same physical hardware core that is already driving the car, and it is seriously underpowered core for the task (this is why Jim Keller is on the job to make it a custom ASIC). So, if the rain sensing wipers come, odds are that if it rains when you are on autopilot it will drive like a drunken sailor :)

Because of all the blinking?

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Musk just tweeted that rain sensing is still not ready and didn't give a date for it.

Seems like a fairly clear violation of the Sale of Goods Act. Advertised with rain sensor, over a year later and still not working.

Reactions: Gt1948
Yes they are! Just got it! Updating now.

Attachments

• 20180101_135052.jpg
    20180101_135052.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20180101_143927.jpg
    20180101_143927.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: Gt1948
OK, after some light rain today, the rain-sensing wipers do work, but they aren't very sensitive even on the most-sensitive second-switch position. Light rain tends to build up beyond the condition at which I'd trigger the wipers manually.

My Audi has a sensitivity control on the wiper stalk. It would be nice if Tesla provided a sensitivity slider on the Settings display in the next iteration.

Also, for those with AP 2.5 cars, do the rain sensing wipers work better? More sensitive to rain build-up?

• Informative
Day 2 with auto wipers: in heavier rain, they seem to work pretty well. Wiping is more frequent. I was using the second switch position.

Two things I noticed today: the wiping process appears to operate on a “look - wipe - look - wipe” pattern. The passenger wiper clears rain from in front of the cameras, so the system appears to pause for a second or two every one to few wipes to assess the rain conditions before wiping again.

Also, I noticed that the cameras are a bit too high on the window and above where most of the rain hits the windshield. I can sit up higher and see the line-of-sight of the cameras. The windshield is also sloping back @ the camera location, so airflow reduces the rain hitting in front of the cameras. So, the cameras see less rain effects than the driver sees. Perhaps this is why the auto wipers don’t work as well in light rain.

My experience has been totally different. I find the auto wipers to work great for a beta, though they’ll undoubtedly be improved.

I think the first twist of the stalk is too low for anything but the “misty” rain we tend to get up here, but the second level is great and it often does a double swipe when cleaning to make sure it got everything.

I think a very good release.

My experience has been totally different. I find the auto wipers to work great for a beta, though they’ll undoubtedly be improved.

I think the first twist of the stalk is too low for anything but the “misty” rain we tend to get up here, but the second level is great and it often does a double swipe when cleaning to make sure it got everything.

I think a very good release.

Two days of driving in the Seattle rain. Highly variable wiper reactions. In the light rain we've had the last two days the wipers don't activate at all in switch position 1. However, on position 2, in daylight, they activate reliably, a little later than I prefer, but still pretty good. But at night, on dark roads without any street lights you could be in the ditch before the wipers start working. As soon as I get back on a moderatly to well lit road the wipers start working again.

All in all I'm happy with this release and plan to always leave the system in the "auto ON" switch 2 mode for normal driving. If the wipers don't start when I want a clear windshield, it's a simple matter to select Settings>Vehicle>Auto Wiper>OFF and since the wiper switch is already in the number 2 position, the wipers will immediately begin working manually. Simple enough to do until the system is further refined by Tesla which I hope it will be eventually. Nice update.

• Informative
Two days of driving in the Seattle rain. Highly variable wiper reactions. In the light rain we've had the last two days the wipers don't activate at all in switch position 1. However, on position 2, in daylight, they activate reliably, a little later than I prefer, but still pretty good. But at night, on dark roads without any street lights you could be in the ditch before the wipers start working. As soon as I get back on a moderatly to well lit road the wipers start working again.

All in all I'm happy with this release and plan to always leave the system in the "auto ON" switch 2 mode for normal driving. If the wipers don't start when I want a clear windshield, it's a simple matter to select Settings>Vehicle>Auto Wiper>OFF and since the wiper switch is already in the number 2 position, the wipers will immediately begin working manually. Simple enough to do until the system is further refined by Tesla which I hope it will be eventually. Nice update.

It’s even simpler than that. You can leave the auto mode on, and just press (slightly) the silver button that you would normally hold to have the wipers spray windshield washer fluid. Just a single tap forces the wipers to do a swipe, but doesn’t spray any water.

Then the wipers are still in auto mode but you’ve initiated a manual single swipe of the windshield to clear it.

Just north of you in Vancouver. Hosing here also. I'm a pretty KoolAid coloured guy wrt Tesla but my rose coloured glasses must be hampering my vision. Compared to previous (some 10 yr old) cars, this rollout is pretty poor. Too insensitive/seemingly random to point of being useless.

I suppose will improve as they can change thresholds triggering wipe.

• Informative