Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensing Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive my naivety, but do I need to enable rain sensing wipers to be "on"

I have an AP2 MX and it rained a couple of days ago and couldn't figure out how to get the wipers to work automatically through sensing the rain.

On my last car, I remembered I had to put it in a mode to get it to work that way and was wondering if its the same on the MX?

Reactions: 1 person
I know some people are quite frustrated that rain sensing wipers haven't been rolled out yet to HW2 models, but if you look at it from Tesla's point of view, I think it makes sense. What is the most important thing they are doing this year? I'll answer my own question: it's getting Model 3 out with robust AP2 software. I very much doubt Model 3 will have rain sensing wipers, so that feature will be down on the priority list for the time being, same with some of the other features that have been slow to roll out, like auto high beams, and a new kernel. Slowly some of those low priority items (at least, low priority from the Model 3 point of view) have been coming out, just not as fast as we'd all prefer. I know it sounds slam dunk easy to enable rain sensing wipers, but if I were Tesla I'd be putting every single resource into getting AP2 at least to parity with AP1 so that Model 3 can get released as soon as possible. We're almost there. Maybe with 17.22.46 we are there, in which case this is all moot as we'll get the wipers and a new kernel etc. soon...In the meantime, I'm okay being patient, we'll all win in the long run if Model 3 is a success!

Reactions: tangerine
I very much doubt Model 3 will have rain sensing wipers, so that feature will be down on the priority list for the time being, same with some of the other features that have been slow to roll out, like auto high beams, and a new kernel.
Why on earth do you doubt that? Pretty much every 20k USD car has rain-sensing wipers - it would be very strange if it weren't included on the Model 3.

Why on earth do you doubt that? Pretty much every 20k USD car has rain-sensing wipers - it would be very strange if it weren't included on the Model 3.
The $70K+ AP2 cars do not yet have rain-sensing wipers -- Tesla SW engineers have been too busy figuring out how to program a car to drive itself from LA to NY without killing anyone.
Maybe this summers batch of SW engineering interns will knock-out rain-sensing algorithms before they return to school in Aug.:rolleyes:

I would've thought that rain sensing wipers would be one of the first things that they tackle since its such a common feature in most modern-day cars.

I agree with some of this thread's comments and knowing that Model 3 is big hurdle for the company to get through, but I would assume that it would be ok to not have as a robust of a software for AP2 in Model 3 as I feel like there will always be improvements to be made to AP2 throughout its trajectory.

And with a fleet of Model 3's on the road, it would only help the Tesla software get better, faster.

• Love
Reactions: GOPJEW
Apparently, the rain-sensing wipers were surprising the Auto-Pilot and causing it to brake. They've had to retrain the AI to blink every time the wipers moved, and getting the blinking timed correctly has been extremely difficult. <---- Guys, this is a joke!!!! @Algbc, please undo your Informative rating before people think it's a real thing.

That or it's a low-priority item for Tesla. ;)

Last edited:
Apparently, the rain-sensing wipers were surprising the Auto-Pilot and causing it to brake. They've had to retrain the AI to blink every time the wipers moved, and getting the blinking timed correctly has been extremely difficult.

That or it's a low-priority item for Tesla. ;)
That makes a lot of sense. I guess it is best to wait for best result to be released.

Forgive my naivety, but do I need to enable rain sensing wipers to be "on"

As of right now, an AP1 hardware car.

I very much doubt Model 3 will have rain sensing wipers, so that feature will be down on the priority list for the time being, same with some of the other features that have been slow to roll out, like auto high beams, and a new kernel.

Auto high beams is out. Model 3 will have rain sensing wipers. The success of the Model 3 isn't going to be based off of AP2 (EAP) vs AP1 (APC) parity, it will be based off of the development and approval of FSD.

You lose basic cruise control functionality with AP2?
TACC is all there is. There is no way to fall back to dumb cruise control holding a constant speed.

AP2 is just hardware. AP2 cars have basic cruise control functionality. This will allow you to set your car at a constant speed, just like every other car. When you upgrade and opt for EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) package, it enables TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) which allows you to set speed, but it will also adjust based on traffic flow (slow down or speed up to your preset speed) If you have TACC, you do not have basic cruise control.

Do you have some source for that feature to be enabled this month?

Here's the source: Elon Musk on Twitter
"Hopefully June" Sounds like a hard commitment to me. :rolleyes: