Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both my old SQ5 and current MX have imperfect rain sensors. The tech is just not there yet IMO. I miss the old adjustable timer knob and find myself flicking to full on and automatic repeatedly to get the windshield clear. It also seems to work poorly at night. I love tech but some stuff should still have granular adjustment to it until the automatic stuff works seamlessly. Kind of like not being able to adjust the headrests to stop digging into my back.

It is a bit of engineering arrogance to design and lock in automatic features for the sake of "automatic" without considering the range of real life issues end users face. We are a more diverse group facing more diverse conditions than a team of engineers in California. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the work and thought that it takes to even attempt to make something automatic and it is the desired endpoint of all this. Simply put though - I want the option to turn automatic stuff off and on and still have manual options available until I find I leave it on auto all the time. Kind of like autopilot.

Reactions: acadapter
I find the Model X rain sensor to be erratic - insensitive at times, overly sensitive at others.
My seven-year-old Lexus LS has a rain sensor that's petty near perfect with fully adjustable sensitivity. So it can be done.

We get plenty of rain in PA for testing rain sensors.:D

Reactions: jonman
Similar complaint, I think I might know the issue though - seems like the "ramp up" period is too slow. If the sensor is taking an average over several reads and adjusting the wipers to that average rain level, it appears that it's doing it across too much time. I've noticed my wipers start wiping faster only once the rain has been hard for about 10s.... way too long when you can't see! It's a minor complaint though, you can always hit that button to trigger a wipe while the sensor is catching up.

The rain sensing wipers don't work very well, compared with Lexus, Mercedes, and Porsche (and probably most other luxury vehicles).

It would often not wipe when it's supposed to, but sometimes does the opposite.

The problem might be that the sensor is camera based (does anyone know if this is true?), and depending on how the light falls, the camera may not detect raindrops, or may detect them as permanent dust particles. The software probably uses motion from raindrops to gauge how quickly the wipers should move. This doesn't always work, as we've all experienced.

The other luxury car manufacturers probably use a dedicated sensor rather than multi-purposing the autopilot camera.

Not sure if we should blame this on Mobileye or Tesla.

Similarly, sometimes a dedicated button or dial just works better.

I'm sure this will improve with software updates, although it may not be high on their priority since it's more of an inconvenience rather than a safety issue.

I really wish that there was an "intermittent" mode on the wipers. Instead of having regular-manual and fast-manual, it would be nice if "regular-manual" also could be made intermittent by a software switch on the screen (e.g. 1 second delay, 2 second delay, 4 second delay).

Of course, this is because the automated rain sensor doesn't work very well. If they could fix that, then my wish wouldn't be necessary.

Reactions: jb2510
I have the problem that my rains sensor thinks there is rain ALL the time. If I set the wiper control to either auto setting, the wipers will wipe even when parked in the garage and with a dry windshield. At first I thought it started when I hung a parking tag from the rear view mirror (perhaps blocking a sensor) but it is the same when I remove the parking tag. Are there issues hanging a parking tag from the rear view mirror???

I have the problem that my rains sensor thinks there is rain ALL the time. If I set the wiper control to either auto setting, the wipers will wipe even when parked in the garage and with a dry windshield. At first I thought it started when I hung a parking tag from the rear view mirror (perhaps blocking a sensor) but it is the same when I remove the parking tag. Are there issues hanging a parking tag from the rear view mirror???
AFAIK, the rain sensor is against the windshield pointing outwards. If anything, I would get a windshield cleaner and meticulously clean the exterior area around the mirror and sensors. See if that helps. Otherwise, you may have an issue with the sensor and require a SC appointment.

I want so badly to talk to the programmer at Tesla that does the wipers. Bag the rain sensor for now. If it just had a couple of intermittent settings with the delay varying with the speed of the car it would be 300% better than it is now, and it would seem to be smart.

We have all the types of rain here and the wipers work well about 10% of the time.

Both my old SQ5 and current MX have imperfect rain sensors. The tech is just not there yet IMO. I miss the old adjustable timer knob and find myself flicking to full on and automatic repeatedly to get the windshield clear. It also seems to work poorly at night. I love tech but some stuff should still have granular adjustment to it until the automatic stuff works seamlessly. Kind of like not being able to adjust the headrests to stop digging into my back.

It is a bit of engineering arrogance to design and lock in automatic features for the sake of "automatic" without considering the range of real life issues end users face. We are a more diverse group facing more diverse conditions than a team of engineers in California. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the work and thought that it takes to even attempt to make something automatic and it is the desired endpoint of all this. Simply put though - I want the option to turn automatic stuff off and on and still have manual options available until I find I leave it on auto all the time. Kind of like autopilot.

Hey I traded in my SQ5 for my MX too! --- The Audi rain sensor was certainly far from perfect. My other issue was if it sensed too early, it would smear the windshield forcing my to spray fluid and run the wipers manually anyway.