Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rain sensor on AP1.0 cars is in the foward camera enclosure, facing the windshield. You can see the black circle very clearly from outside. The sensor is made by Hella, and connected to 12V, ground and the Body Control Module (BCM) by Pektron, that resides in the passenger footwell, behind the carpet near the floor. The signal is LIN (Local Interconnect Network) instead of CAN. That's all I know, based on wiring diagrams and ebay parts. Please someone elaborate on how this actually works

2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-front-sensor.jpg

11055455_1414986392143239_625489607_n.jpg

Incredible, just incredible that they can make algorithms that steers, accelerates and brakes the car, huge touchscreen displays with all the music, radio and information in the world, electric battery and motor with hundres of HP ---- and still not an acceptable windshield wiper rain sensor!

I mean, why? Of course I would buy a tesla notwithstanding this issue, of course I love the company and its momentum, of course I can manually engage the wipers --- but why? Why keep us annoyed and irritated about this stupid issue that's just waste of brain energy on the road.

Please Tesla, please just make our automatic rain sensor work like it's supposed to. If it's the fault of Hella, tell us: At least we'll know it's not just your own software department acting monkey

Am a bit confused ! Just took delivery of my MX90D on Dec 27, and was a bit surprised that there does not appear to be any rain sensors on my car, just has a 1,2 or 3 position time delay. On my 2013 Audi Q7, there is one position for variable speed wiping dependent on rain intensity & speed, and of course two other manual positions to choose from. Thought I was taking a step backwards in technology when I got my MX, however reading the previous comments in this thread, maybe not !
Does anyone know, did they eliminate this "sensor" feature because of all the complaints, or.....?

Incredible, just incredible that they can make algorithms that steers, accelerates and brakes the car, huge touchscreen displays with all the music, radio and information in the world, electric battery and motor with hundres of HP ---- and still not an acceptable windshield wiper rain sensor!

I mean, why? Of course I would buy a tesla notwithstanding this issue, of course I love the company and its momentum, of course I can manually engage the wipers --- but why? Why keep us annoyed and irritated about this stupid issue that's just waste of brain energy on the road.

Please Tesla, please just make our automatic rain sensor work like it's supposed to. If it's the fault of Hella, tell us: At least we'll know it's not just your own software department acting monkey

And no AM radio. :)