Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain-X / Aquapel for front wind shield

scottwith1t

Feb 24, 2020
Jacksonville
To start off with, yes, I've used the search feature.

Hit some pretty serious rain lately down here in Florida, much more than the SoCal-rain calibrated Model 3 was designed for. I've legitimately never seen the windshield get so bad, and even on the wiper's fastest setting it seemed like there should be another even faster setting.

Rain-X and Aquapel are obviously called out as not-a-good-idea in the owners manual, but using search here it seems like some folks have gotten it to work.

Has anyone managed to make Rain-X / Aquapel work on the Model 3? And what'd it take to get rid of the chattering?

There are some posts that have hinted at swapping wiper blades to aftermarket, or cleaning the stock blades really good. Anyone have any luck, and if so what blades did you use?

I've got Rain-X on every other glass surface of the car and it works great, just not the front windshield. Yet.

Stanwood Steve

2018 Performance Model 3
Mar 30, 2019
Stanwood, WA
I used Aquapel on all my windows and have no major issues with the windshield wiper "chatter" that has been reported. I find the benefit of having the coating on my windshield far outweighs any rare occasion where the wipers "chatter". In fact, I can get away from even using the wipers at speeds of 60 or above.

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
I also have aquapel on all my windows. The key is to first thoroughly clean the windows and remove contaminants. I did the following:

1) Clean windows with Invisible Glass Cleaner
2) Polish glass with Carpro Ceriglass and orbital polisher using Carpro glass rayon pads (I had micro scratches on my glass I wanted to remove)
3) Clean and remove polish with Carpro Eraser
4) Claybar glass to remove anything else, and clean again with Invisible glass cleaner
5) Apply Aquapel

After all that work I'm a happy camper. Water just beads off and the glass is very clear. No chatter.

eric135i

Aug 3, 2020
New Jersey
It forms a chemical bond with the glass. So your wipers don't wipe it off like RainX. Lasts about a year and then do another treatment. RainX you can keep doing monthly or more depending on weather.

i've used rainx & rainX waher fluid additive for 15+ years with no problems. is this AquaPel worth the extra $$$$?

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
i've used rainx & rainX waher fluid additive for 15+ years with no problems. is this AquaPel worth the extra $$$$?

The single packs can be pricey. I bought a 24 pack on Amazon to have enough for all the windows in the car for years. I also used it in the house on the shower doors and mirrors. It's great stuff.

You'd need at least 4 but I used 6 to do the entire car for all glass and mirrors for good coverage and protection. That's $22.90. Is that so much for you? I prefer this so I only do it once a year. The only maintenance is cleaning the windows and wipers with Invisible glass when they need it inbetween.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquapel-Glas...hild=1&keywords=Aquapel&qid=1600036433&sr=8-1

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
Note, they mention it lasts 6 months. This really depends on the weather you have. I can tell you that in Switzerland it lasts 12 months for me and we get plenty of rain and snow here.

m3snowy

Apr 15, 2018
cloud
Btw Griot's Garage 11033 Glass Sealant is similar to Aquapel and works out cheaper. Aquapel is easier to apply with its applicator. GG needs more coats of application (more effort) but subjectively seems to last longer.

I had wiper chatter with my 3 with Aquapel at first, but that went away after a few months and hasn't come back. And I've switched to GG recently.

On my Y I started with GG and I haven't had any wiper chatter.

Have never tried RainX.

Vaillant

Jul 19, 2019
Sunnyvale, CA
I use Rain-X on all the top glass (windshield, roof, rear), applying it monthly during the rainy season. Never had a problem with wiper chatter. Love not using my wipers when on the freeway!

scottwith1t

Feb 24, 2020
Jacksonville
I use Rain-X on all the top glass (windshield, roof, rear), applying it monthly during the rainy season. Never had a problem with wiper chatter. Love not using my wipers when on the freeway!
Do you leave an untreated area where the wipers reverse direction or do you just go ahead and treat the whole window?

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
There are some posts that have hinted at swapping wiper blades to aftermarket, or cleaning the stock blades really good. Anyone have any luck, and if so what blades did you use?
Stick with BOSCH (OE?) blades. BOSCH P/N: 3397014116

I also reside in Florida and so I'm replacing blades every ~6 months. BOSCH are wonderful, exact OE match (if you care), and have zero chatter.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC