TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rainier loop day trip: In-car battery estimate way off

Discussion in 'Model X' started by arathald, Jul 30, 2018.

1. arathald

arathald Member

Yesterday, I took a drive around Mount Rainier, stopping at both the Sunrise and Paradise visitor's centers. I planned to make the entire loop from a Walgreens chademo coming off the main freeways in Auburn, WA to the Centralia Supercharger on I-5.

I planned this all out in abetterrouteplanner, along with a couple of alternatives, since the original plan doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. Fortunately, I hit within 1% of the predicted percentages, so I was able to make the original plan without having to cut anything short.

My in-car navigation also tends to be fairly spot-on with battery percentage on arrival, within a couple of percent even on long legs, including driving through the mountains. However, while abetterrouteplanner predicted I'd get to Sunrise with 60% battery, Tesla predicted I'd hit 46%, and pretty stubbornly stayed in the mid-to-high 40s even until a few miles out. This made me think I might need to shorten the trip and cut out the last leg. However, when I got to the visitor's center, I was at 59%, so abetterrouteplanner was spot on.

Is this because of the significant elevation changes (starting near sea level, going up to 6400 ft)? When I went up hurricane ridge a few weeks ago, 5200 ft up over a much shorter distance, the estimates were much better, and Tesla's estimates were much closer on the rest of the drive yesterday, including going from Sunrise to Paradise, which has a pretty sizable descent and climb back up.

I will say I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any other Teslas (or BEVs of any kind) in the park except for a single Model 3 at the top of Paradise. Driving out into the middle of nowhere is a great way of showing people that Teslas are capable of a lot more than they realize!

Here's the link to the plan: A Better Routeplanner

Also attached my favorite photo from the trip :)

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Beautiful pic ..I miss living up there ..did u do this in a 100D ?

3. arathald

arathald Member

A P100D. Thanks for reminding me I needed to set my signature :)

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Great choice of car!!!;);)