Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raise/lower suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody. I was just wondering, do all Model Ss have the ability to raise and lower their suspension? Or is it only on the "smart" suspension cars?

I can see this being a feature I would use, and I'd be fine without the "smart" suspension, so long as I could just raise and lower it manually if I'm about to go over a speed bump or leaving an inclined driveway/etc.

Is there any rhyme/reason as to which used Model Ss have the smart air suspension? What I mean by that is, did like, every dual-motor model have it? Or was it just an option that anyone could have gotten whether it was a 75, a 75d, 85d, whatever?

I ask because I've noticed on most used car sites, they mention nothing about the suspension. I guess I'd have to contact the owner/dealer and have them check?

Edit: It looks like it became standard in 2017 for all trims???

Background: I want to get a used Model S. Things I want are the all glass roof, dual motor, and the air suspension. Uncorked would me nice, too.

Last edited:
Is there any rhyme/reason as to which used Model Ss have the smart air suspension? What I mean by that is, did like, every dual-motor model have it? Or was it just an option that anyone could have gotten whether it was a 75, a 75d, 85d, whatever?

I ask because I've noticed on most used car sites, they mention nothing about the suspension. I guess I'd have to contact the owner/dealer and have them check?

Background: I want to get a used Model S. Things I want are the all glass roof, dual motor, and the air suspension. Uncorked would me nice, too.
For a good portion of the Model S production, it was an extra-cost option. Not sure exactly when it became standard equipment but most likely sometime around the beginning of Model 3.

The easiest way to see if the car has air suspension or not is click the menu and on the left if there is a tap saying suspension they it has air suspension, if there is no tab then it has basic coil springs. Like 90% of the PxxD models have air, it was part of selecting you wanted a PD model it was just part of that package.