Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raise your hand if you feel forgotten on the trunk camera harness recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recall was done today by mobile service in about 45 minutes. It seems each service center receives "a box of parts" periodically and apparently each car has "home" service center and that determines "availability" for the part. At least that's that I gleaned from chatting with the mobile tech
Did you receive a notification that parts were available and then you scheduled a time for them to come out, or did you have to keep checking the app to see when it would let you request the recall be completed?

I just checked my app and see that parts are now available for my M3 and that I can schedule the service. As I am not having any issues with the camera I am going to put this off until I need to have something else done. I would like the factory powered liftgate retrofit that they are doing in China and would like to get both items done at the same time. I realize that the liftgate retrofit may never happen in the USA but here's hoping.

FWIW I never received any notice that the parts were available. The "CCS Adapter Retrofit" is listed but when I check on it it says "currently unavailable".

Since this is an official recall, it will not have an expiry date. If you're not experiencing issues it's probably best to wait until you need something else serviced before getting this done. IMO, it's not worth the effort to make a stand-alone appointment for this if there are no issues.

Reactions: Jiver and android04
10 months ago I opened a service ticket and mobile repair did the fix. I didn't need a new wiring harness (they look for a specific color of wire), so they simply installed a rubber guide where the wiring bends near the trunk hinge.

Last edited:
Did you receive a notification that parts were available and then you scheduled a time for them to come out, or did you have to keep checking the app to see when it would let you request the recall be completed?
I did NOT receive a notification. I had actually forgotten about the trunk recall. I was in the app looking for the CCS combo retrofit (which wasn't available). Just for giggles I checked the harness recall and lo and behold it said the part was available. I obviously don't know if a notification was going to be coming and I just happen to luck into it ahead of time or I "jumped the line" by accident.

• Helpful
Reactions: danarcha
7BF104BC-B0CD-4825-9F39-1FDE5FB2B456.jpeg

703D2435-214D-45CD-A6F9-EB49A4F1E49D.jpeg

58464C69-B7CF-44E3-9F1F-7806BA406B93.jpeg

D3E820B5-DE24-40CA-A149-7582B5A47A3A.jpeg

1E578F1B-53E7-4AD9-8E2C-041B4DCAE999.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tlr1000
Follow up: Tesla called me and offered to switch my appointment to Mobile and on an earlier day. So it's done now and took less of my time!

With Mobile Service you can talk with the technician. He set tire pressures to 45 psi and existing that's for cold weather and potentially better ride. (Back in 2019 or 2020 Elon suggested 40-41 psi for comfort.) I asked how to clean something off the seat that other cleaners didn't get. He took out a Gojo cleaning wipe, and that worked! He recommended Tub of Towels as well.

Reactions: helobubba
Mobile Service told me that I already had the updated part even though I was affected by the recall and had intermittent operation issues with the backup camera. I confirmed the issue was with the RF cable used to transmit the video signal from the rearview camera through the trunk lid hinge.

I ended up running another identical cable in the original wire harness to remedy this issue and have been trouble free since!

If you don’t need it forget it. I got mine done as part of something else and they had to come back two additional times to fix it again. Left debris inside so each time you open or close the trunk you can hear stuff rolling around. Then the clips were not replaced so the lid is loose with a gap.

• Helpful
Reactions: pnwadventures