Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raise your hand if you feel forgotten on the trunk camera harness recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After over a year since receiving the initial notification of recall, I did see that the mysterious part was now available for my car in the Tesla app. So I scheduled the service. It was scheduled as mobile, and the technician accomplished the recall yesterday at my home. He said that given my VIN (early 2018 in the 33000’s) his preference was to replace the harness, which he did. Took about 30 minutes start to finish after which he checked tire pressures and remaining tread depth…all ok and no rotation needed. This was for me another example of excellent service: my time convenience, my home, fixed the problem, friendly and informative technician, all went well.

I was surprised at what to me was the complexity of the harness itself…lots of branches and connectors. The technician also opened the harness covering and showed me where the insulation had indeed broken in one of the wires so on my car the recall was a good thing. He said the insulation in newer harnesses for that wire is thicker and more flexible to prevent recurrence. Given the plastic harness cover and the fact that only the insulation on only one wire was broken there was no possibility of any spark or other damage other than the wire itself breaking at some point and the connected item (light I think I remember) not working. That made me feel better about the over-a-year wait for parts. Kudos to Tesla for the recall, the free service, and the upgraded harness. I’m very much the happy camper for this.
IMG_8888.jpeg
IMG_8889.jpeg

Thanks for the helpful responses! I have not seen a problem yet with the camera, but the recall just quit showing up in the app, there’s never been any follow-up from Tesla, and the onus now appears to be on me to: 1.) remember or independently discover there even is a recall; 2.) guess whether or not the part is available; 3.) schedule the repair; 4.) go to the SC for this (for whatever reason mobile service is no longer available, despite having used it before).

Thanks for the helpful responses! I have not seen a problem yet with the camera, but the recall just quit showing up in the app, there’s never been any follow-up from Tesla, and the onus now appears to be on me to: 1.) remember or independently discover there even is a recall; 2.) guess whether or not the part is available; 3.) schedule the repair; 4.) go to the SC for this (for whatever reason mobile service is no longer available, despite having used it before).
Mine is still there -

IMG_3551.png
IMG_3552.png

FWIW I still see the recall in the app, and it still tells me as it has for years now there's no need to make an appointment and I'll be notified when the part is ready. Everything works fine so in no hurry for exactly the reason of taking things apart often makes them worse others have mentioned.

They fixed mine the other day, all of 15 minutes.
If it only took 15min, they took the easy way out and likely only added the harness strain relief.... instead of replacing the entire harness.

Even if moving fast, with a small frame and hands... it takes at least 45-60min to do the full replacement (including some camera handshake reset via Toolbox). Most techs will take 2hrs to complete and ruin half the interior and trunk hatch cover clips in the process.

If it only took 15min, they took the easy way out and likely only added the harness strain relief.... instead of replacing the entire harness.

Even if moving fast, with a small frame and hands... it takes at least 45-60min to do the full replacement (including some camera handshake reset via Toolbox). Most techs will take 2hrs to complete and ruin half the interior and trunk hatch cover clips in the process.
That definitely was not my experience, but it probably varies from technician to technician. A I mentioned in post #42 above, complete harness replacement took 30 minutes, nothing was destroyed, nothing was damaged, everything was tested, no interior ruination, no trunk hatch cover clips were harmed during the replacement. The technician was male, average size, likely average dexterity, knew exactly what he had to do and went about doing it apparently properly. In talking with him, he mentioned that it took him an hour and a half the first time he did a complete harness replacement, but that very quickly became a 30-minute job after doing 2-3 of them.

I do agree that this is likely an impossible task to be accomplished in 15 minutes if doing anything more than adding the strain relief.

It could be our Dutch mobile techs are fast, but in our M3 it did take 25 minutes to replace the harness.

Reactions: Perscitus
I had a leak in my windshield wiper fluid reservoir and got the wiring harness fixed at the same time. It took about an hour but ironically, they couldn't fix the reservoir as it needed a new part so I had to take it to a service center. I had them do a final inspection before my warranty runs out and the car had a clean bill of health. Pretty reliable if you ask me.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
If you don’t need it forget it. I got mine done as part of something else and they had to come back two additional times to fix it again. Left debris inside so each time you open or close the trunk you can hear stuff rolling around. Then the clips were not replaced so the lid is loose with a gap.
I'll kind of echo this. They did a crappy job and there are lots of new vibrations in my car now (I am having them correct when I go in for my windshield replacement).