TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Raised ecohitch and cargo basket

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GarrickS, May 26, 2017.

1. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I've gotten a lot of use from my ecohitch with a bike rack, but a big problem has always been the height. The ecohitch sticks out too far and sits too low to the ground. I can't get out of my driveway.

Check out my new customized ecohitch receiver and cargo basket!

https://goo.gl/photos/GYhrPdgLdqszUpFN8

• Like x 1
  2. jchag

jchag Member

Nice work. I haven't had any problems with my Ecohitch. I have pulled a HF trailer and connected a bike rack

• Like x 1
  3. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

The existing hitch isn't low to tow trailer? I don't suppose you could provide a picture.

There are some intersections near my house I couldn't driver through with just the ecohitch receiver. I would drag my butt through every time. I could, in theory, leave my new receiver installed full-time now (not that I would).

4. hacer

hacer Member

Did you make this yourself or have it made for you?

5. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I got the pieces, did the cutting, and tacked it together. I had a guy around the corner burn it because I can't weld such thick metal.

I was going to grind down the welds to smoothen it for powder coating, but I might redo this. I could still use more clearance.

Making another one is lower-priority because this one mostly works.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Have used a similar system on my X. It has not been a problem with dragging. Maybe it rides a little higher than the S.

If you have air suspension, you might be able to get enough height in problem areas to avoid the dragging.