Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raising the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any pics?

Next week for my UK pix. But Peter Tran over on the Tesla Model 3 private group has a gorgeous M3 with Black Rose (I think) wrap, the MPP lift kit AND air suspension. Great ground clearance with the MPP kit with a distinctly Subaru-esque stance. With the air out that puppy is a real ground hugger :)

Unfortunately, I can't copy the video of the up/down cycle.

Reactions: Cyclone1
Install coming on Wednesday. I found this YouTube video which immensely encourages me.

Also found positive owner comments on Tesla Owners Online citing ease of entry for taller humans and those with steeply inclined drives.

Other pics available but I just didn't want to be a no good dirty copyright violater.

Some plastic wheel well trims would be nice. I wonder if the ones from the Y would fit...

Last edited:
Any pics?

It was raining, that's my excuse for the poor pic. Better tomorrow if it is dryer.

The car sits noticeably higher but not alarmingly so. Good. I don't have to duck my head getting in anymore. Good. Still fits under the garage door! Tracking will be done tomorrow but the car handled fine on the short drive home. Maybe just a bit firmer?

The driving position is elevated. Driving a Smart car around town and a Subaru Forester on mountain expeditions I am comfortable with a higher prespective.

The MPP Lift Kit was installed by local sports car/vintage garage called Classic Car Solutions that I had been prepping for the job with various bits of web info. www.salesccs.co.uk MPP said it would talke 3 hours, they charged me for 5 but actually spent 7. Lots of minor points were missed off in the MPP installation instructions, they said. Normal.

The acid test is the track up to our finca. That awaits further adventures as does the efficiency hit with the car higher and the front tyre profiles more exposed. I've reserved a BMW X1 near my place so that I have a Plan B ;-)

I really need some Y owner in the US to send me some pix of the wheel well "skirts" and their method of attachment. Aftermarket rubber flares suck.

Attachments

• IMAG1603.jpg
    IMAG1603.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG1603.jpg
    IMAG1603.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The acid test is the track up to our finca.
That awaits further adventures as does the efficiency hit with the car higher
and the front tyre profiles more exposed.
I've reserved a BMW X1 near my place so that I have a Plan B ;-)
Amusing, change radically the look!

It seems you prepare to attend the Paris-Dakar.

It really explain the origin of the company name "Mountain Pass Performance."

It remind me some Renault or Peugeot Sinpar ''Tout Terrain" mostly used by the custom police "Les Douaniers" : )

I wonder if there is an impact on the range from increase drag?

I would put some more ruggy tires, but the front suspension arch above the wheel is a size limitation.

Do you carry a spare tire to go in the Pyrenees mountains?

Last edited:
Amusing, change radically the look!

It remind me some Renault or Peugeot Sinpar ''Tout Terrain" mostly used by the custom police.

I wonder if there is an impact on the range from increase drag?

I would put some more ruggy tires, but the front suspension arch above the wheel is a size limitation.

Do you carry a spare tire to go in the Pyrenees mountains?

It's a crap picture, distorted by perspective. Stay tuned for better. It's not as high as it looks. More like a Y.

MPP says the efficiency hit is 10pc. We need normal tyres only for 99.99pc of the 3's travels. We have a Road Hero spare and a plug kit, as yet unused.

I really need some Y owner in the US to send me some pix of the wheel well "skirts"
and their method of attachment. Aftermarket rubber flares suck.
I think the Model Y with the Mountain Pass kit would look ever better,
especially because of the chrome delete and the added wheel arches.

Tesla should consider making a Model 3 and Model Y version similar to the Audi A6 All-Road

Alignment/tracking sorted on the MPP Lift Kit. Sadly I don't have a before before (ie. before the lift kit) so the "Before" on the spec sheet is actually before re-alignment but post-installation. The "After" is post-adjustment. All within tolerance or near as damn it. No adjustments available other than toe, in the wisdom of Elon. All for the princely sum of £29.
IMAG1606.jpg

The car drives fine. Maybe a litter firmer. Not noticeably noisier. Cosmetics not desecrated. The damage to aerodynamic efficiency is yet to be gauged. Damage from rocks and tree roots hopefully avoided!

Attachments

• IMAG1607.jpg
    IMAG1607.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
And here is a direct comparison with an unraised M3. Still not a perfect comparison as the Dutch one was on a slope and mine was on the flat. Also not sure if t'other one was a M3P and therefore a bit lower than a standard Dual Motor (like mine).

Driving/handling on the road is no different. No noticeable impact on aerodynamic efficiency at 70mph without doing a lot of boring maths. Energy used very close to what the Autopilot predicted.

nose2nose.jpg

At low speeds there seems to be a decrease in self-centring... generated by caster angle (or in old money King Pin Inclination) despite the documented tracking results. No adjustment possible.

Still searching for some aftermarket wheel well skirts to decrease the air gap. Help if you spot something. Not going to buy £££ Model Y skirts as they are screwed on. Looking for a glued-on addition.

IMAG1677.jpg

We made it to the top of our own little mountain with no ominous scraping noises. Shown is the decent part of The track known as "The Home Straight". My Navigator/Pathfinder/Bomb Aimer cleared the way of awkward rocks.

We hired a BMW X1 locally just in case... What a shitbox! No wonder BMW drivers are so arsy After three days and 1000 miles in the M3 I couldn't wait to give it back to Sixt

Well, guys and gals, pay attention! I posted alignment results post-MPP Lift kit that were wrong wrong wrong.

Following a helpful reaction from MPP about the lack of self-centring, I went back to the alignment shoppe and had them take a second look. Apologies flowed. Wrong specs used.

2000 miles of bad geometry cost me about 1mm+ across the inside and middle of the front tyres and an extra 1mm on the outside. (5/5/4) A discount will be applied when I need new tyres, I am assured. Despite the wonky rear geometry it was 7/7/7 across both (one was only 50 miles from new).

Here are the new results which may serve as a guide even for non-lifted LR AWD Model 3s (read the small print). I could use more camber at the front but probably not worth the pretty upper control arms offered by MPP for boy racers ;-)

Self-centring is much better now, thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG1756.jpg
    IMAG1756.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 69