Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raising the price of the 14-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do new cars come with any adapters? I have a M3P on order and I have a 240V installed in my garage. I assume the car comes with something to charge it correct?

All new Teslas come with a NEMA 5-15 (standard 15A plug) adapter, all others have to be purchased separately. If you want to use your 240V receptacle you would need to purchase the correct adapter like the OP mentioned.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
such a sleazy move on the part of tesla to not include that vital adapter with the new cars

Not the case at all. Put yourself in Tesla's shoes for a second.

I think it's a function of the bad press they've had because of inept or incompetent 240-volt NEMA 14-50 installations. There have been more than a few fires as a result, and guess who gets the collateral damage: Tesla and all other EV's.

With millions more Teslas coming, it was quite prudent to make the NEMA 14-50 connector more expensive/difficult to get, while also reducing the price of the safer, smarter, Tesla Wall Connector.

Not the case at all. Put yourself in Tesla's shoes for a second.

I think it's a function of the bad press they've had because of inept or incompetent 240-volt NEMA 14-50 installations. There have been more than a few fires as a result, and guess who gets the collateral damage: Tesla and all other EV's.

With millions more Teslas coming, it was quite prudent to make the NEMA 14-50 connector more expensive/difficult to get, while also reducing the price of the safer, smarter, Tesla Wall Connector.
They probably also got enough in car data to suggest that most people don’t use the 14-50 connector (like most didn’t use the garage door opener) and decided to save a few bucks and not include it.

It's not the money issue that take exception to, it's the fact that you can't count on it being in stock. They really need a way for you to buy it and know that you will have it when the car is delivered. The way they do it now is prone to having eBay scalpers buy them up and take advantage of people who need them.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
such a sleazy move on the part of tesla to not include that vital adapter with the new cars
It's not sleazy at all. Tesla is a publicly held company that needs to remain profitable. As an owner, I want them to remain that way and be around to support my car.

I just don't get why people get upset when a company wants to make money.

• Disagree
Reactions: vickh and ucmndd
It's not sleazy at all. Tesla is a publicly held company that needs to remain profitable. As an owner, I want them to remain that way and be around to support my car.

I just don't get why people get upset when a company wants to make money.
It’s pretty pathetic that the standard with BEVs has basically become to not provide any reasonable L2 charging equipment with the car.

Nobody is pissed Tesla wants to make a profit. There are lots of ways to do that without the appearance of sleazy nickel and diming.

There’s no excuse to sell an EV that requires 24+ hours to charge with the included equipment.

It’s pretty pathetic the standard with BEVs has basically become to not provide any reasonable L2 charging equipment with the car.

Nobody is pissed Tesla wants to make a profit. There are lots of ways to do that without the appearance of sleazy nickel and diming.

There’s no excuse to sell an EV that requires 24+ hours to charge with the included equipment.

I’m guessing the vast majority of Tesla drivers don’t need anything BUT the 120V plug.
The 240V plug is easily installed, low cost and readily available either online or at the service center.

I was at our SC last week and they had a stack of them on the desk.

I’m guessing the vast majority of Tesla drivers don’t need anything BUT the 120V plug.

I think that’s a massive exaggeration.

The average US driver covers 13,500 miles a year. 37 miles a day if you spread it perfectly evenly, which of course most people don’t.

BEST case in a Model 3, that’s ~8 hours of charging every day. Maybe some people could get by on that, assuming it’s never cold, or there’s never significant variability in their daily mileage and consumption, etc.

In a Model X, that’s nearly 15 hours of charging, in ideal circumstances.

Vast majority? No way.

It’s pretty pathetic that the standard with BEVs has basically become to not provide any reasonable L2 charging equipment with the car

Okay; which one? Do you think everyone needs a 14-50 (because that's what you use)?

Maybe Tesla should just give everyone the Adaptor Bundle to make sure they're covered?

And while they're at it, throw in some floor mats.

And heck, let's just give everyone unlimited lifetime Supercharging and FSD.

You say Tesla is nickel-diming: I say people are just getting pissy