TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Raleigh area owners: is annual service worth it?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Atebit, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Atebit

Atebit Member

Curious given we live so close to the service center if buying the service is worth it? Has anyone without a service plan had to go there for any non-warranty service yet? What was the experience/cost like? Do they have posted rates or a service menu?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Not the Raleigh SC, but the posted rates are:

$175 diagnostic fee for Model S
    $175 per hour for Model S

I'd assume that the rates would be the same throughout the country because it's factory service, not dealer service.

The annual service is $600.

I live close to a service centre but I purchased the plan because of the unlimited Ranger service. If you should take a trip and there is a problem Tesla will come to you.

3. Atebit

Atebit Member

Thanks, this part is notable.

4. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

Worth noting that without the service plan if you are on a trip and there is a problem, Road Side Assistance will come get the car for service if it prevents the vehicle from operating properly/safely.

The annual checkup discount available through the plan may be useful, but there isn't that much to service-- no oil change, no transmission, brakes should only see light use, no serpentine belt, etc.. If you miss the annual, and get a service in 18 months or so, you may be better buying a la carte annual checkups.

The Ranger service is really useful for folks who live far >45 miles or so from a service center as I understand it... so they can get warranty non-critical things fixed easily.

5. Atebit

Atebit Member

Given that I'm probably going to want to take advantage of the buy back program, at a minimum I guess I'll be buying the service ala carte for 3 years. At that point I might as well buy the 4 pack, as that will only end up costing $100 more than 3 services if I decide to bail in 3 years. Funny how that math works ;).

6. jandkw

jandkw Member

I went there twice for minor service and repair and Trevor's service team in Raleigh Service Center is excellent. I also have the 4-year service contract for $1900 and I think it's worth it or where else do you go, your neighborhood Auto Repair shop? They can do the complimentary semi-annual tire rotation for you too.

7. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

I don't have the service plan. In November, I had the tires rotated at Tesla Rockville, MD while the car was in for a warranty change out of a failing 12v battery. I was charged 1/2 hour labor ($150/hr rate) or $75 for the tire rotation. Probably cheaper to do elsewhere next time...

8. swegman

swegman Member

I have the service plan and Tesla Rockville rotated my tires for no charge. Had nothing else done to the car at the time.

9. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

The service plan includes one tire rotation in addition to the annual service. My issue is that I've put 12k miles on in less than 6 months and already did my first rotation at 6k miles, but won't be needing my annual service for another 6 months, so I'll just have to get my tires rotated somewhere or pay the SC to do it, but $75 sounds exorbitant for a tire rotation.

10. Odenator

Odenator P2607

Also depends on how much you drive. If I had paid for the 4 year service plan, I would have blown through the entire policy within the first 14 months. Not worth it to me. I pay the $600 ONCE per year to have Tesla check out my car.