Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh, NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D89872DC-B133-4F7E-A7B7-CA43B994B83A.jpeg
Poor delivery experience, excellent car. Inside Delivery Advisor (in Las Vegas) first contacted me on 9/8/18 to say that estimated delivery date would be 9/22/18. After several back and forth email exchanges, the IDA ghosted and I didn't hear from them again after 9/10/18 despite multiple email attempts. After the delivery date passed, I finally called the Tesla corporate line on 9/24/18 and after 45 minutes on hold, was finally able to talk with someone and get a new IDA assigned to me (also in Las Vegas). Delivery date was still up in the air as the vehicle was "in transit." More back and forth with the new IDA and delivery was finally set for 2 PM on 10/4/2018. I confirmed the pick up location as the service center on 8800 Westgate Park Dr., Suite 108, Raleigh, NC.
Ride was a little late so I call ahead to tell the service center that we'll be there closer to 2:15 PM. The person (centralized reservation person not on-site) says that the GPS on the vehicle says that it's not there but in 2424 S. Wilmington St., Raleigh instead! Since I was only 5 minutes out, I decided just to show up at the service center as indicated to see what's going on. Service center folks says that they don't do deliveries and to go to the showroom up the road. Get back into the car and drive to the showroom - the Tesla team there had no idea I was supposed to show up (apparently, the IDA in Vegas doesn't talk to the local folks as to who's going to be showing up even with an appointment!). Lots of waiting and finally, they say that the car isn't there and I'll have to go to the S. Wilmington St. location to pick up the car - which is another 30 minutes away. Get back in the car, and drive over to a seedy car detailing lot with NO SIGNAGE or any indication that this is a Tesla facility aside from having a bunch of brand new Teslas parked in the parking lot.
Walk in and the staff are incredibly friendly but it was obvious that they just opened this place up hastily as the decor was spartan and had the look of a seedy repair shop. The only indication that I was in a Tesla facility was that the staff were wearing Tesla polos.
Tesla staff walks me to the car, we do a walk around and he shows me all the features and the customization. Everything checks out. He says that I have 72 hours to take it home and email if I notice any concerns and they'll take care of it. We go inside and sign all the paperwork and I'm out of there. Delivery experience wasn't pleasant but the car certainly made up for it. A few minor fit and finish issues with the door seals not seating properly but everything else seems to be OK. App on the phone was active within 24 hrs.
Having never owned a black car before, I didn't realize the all the scratches and swirls visible on the clear coat. The place where I went to get the windows tinted recommended to get a ceramic coating to get rid of the scratches and swirls. Highly recommend that you get a ceramic coat to give your car a flawless look. It's awesome!
Awesome thx for the update. I think 60% of us will agree on that *sugar* experience but great car:cool:
I had a solid black Daytona 392, and immediately I was like this car is so damn hard to keep swirls away from and just plain clean ...so I ceramic coated it , and never regretted the $1200 I spent. Looked amazing ! Definitely , protect Tesla’s whacky paint no matter the color , the red is super difficult to repair !

I finally have a delivery date!

My story
03/31/16 - Reserved in store, Washington DC (on vacation with the fam)
04/06/18 - Notification email that I could order. Decided to wait on Dual Motor
06/27/18 - Placed order: M3LR, DM, Blue, Aero, EAP (no trade-in)
08/20/18 - Initial phone call and email from IDA. I asked to add FSD
08/24/18 - Notification email confirming FSD added
09/07/18 - Email from IDA saying "we have a solution for Raleigh deliveries!", which I assumed meant home deliveries
09/18/18 - Submitted payment, cleared 2 days later
09/25/18 - Text from Tesla Delivery Team asking for my availability to deliver 9/26-9/30. Responded immediately.
09/28/18 - Text stating that they couldn't deliver. :-(
10/02/18 - Email from IDA stating that the car was marked as "undeliverable", cause unknown (maybe damage or faulty inspection)
10/15/18 - Called Raleigh SC and reached a real live person! She looked up my RN, gave tentative date and last 6 of VIN
10/15/18 - Call from my IDA (coincidence?). New car has been assigned. Delivery date/time agreed, which now appears in my account
10/31/18 - Going trick-or-treating at 2424 S Wilmington St to pick up my sweet, sweet Halloween candy :)

Hi, I got my Model 3 last Saturday, the day after electricity back from Hurricane Michael. Great car however, repairs needed. No sound and screen reboots after entry. People who came with me to pick up the car thought I should take delivery and I wanted to take delivery, so I did. Only extremely minor things with the paint, no body issues. Driving experience has been excellent except for the lack of sound including alarms and blinkers. Are there warning sounds and blinker sounds? The Raleigh staff have put in repair request so I am waiting, so a muted celebration for me. Delivery experience was disappointing. I would think someone would have checked/noticed these things before presenting the car to me as ready.
Also, I did not receive the warranty paperwork. Did any of you? Is there a warranty document on the Tesla website and if so does anyone know where to look?

quick note-

NC folks might wanna check if their recently delivered cars got state inspected before delivery.

Apparently Charlotte (and Raleigh) didn't bother to do that with mine....and then waited 3 weeks into my 30 day tag to notice and tell me I needed to go get it inspected before they could get anywhere on my registration.

The place they sent me (apparently Raleigh SC can't actually do inspections) mentioned they've gotten a lot of these lately.

Hopefully they'll actually get me plates before end of month.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
quick note-

NC folks might wanna check if their recently delivered cars got state inspected before delivery.

Apparently Charlotte (and Raleigh) didn't bother to do that with mine....
Good point. There was confusion at delivery as to whether my inspection was done and the DM was going to have me get it inspected on my own and submit the receipt for reimbursement. At the last minute the inspection report was found in the glovebox.

I got my plate today.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
quick note-

Apparently Charlotte (and Raleigh) didn't bother to do that with mine....and then waited 3 weeks into my 30 day tag to notice and tell me I needed to go get it inspected before they could get anywhere on my registration.

The place they sent me (apparently Raleigh SC can't actually do inspections) mentioned they've gotten a lot of these lately.

Hopefully they'll actually get me plates before end of month.
I have a few days left with my temporary plates and have heard nothing. Tried calling this morning, but was on the phone for about ~30 minutes with "You have greater than 5 minutes remaining", I just gave up.

We picked mine up at Wilmington St a few weeks ago.

The only problem I had at that point was after I requested in email and they confirmed we were going to transfer my vanity plate from my older S (that they were not doing a trade-in on), when we showed up to get the car, all the paperwork was still set to request a new plate with a temp tag, and nobody at the Wilmington St location could fix the paperwork. So now I'm driving around with the temp tag, and have to pay the DMV again for a tag swap on top of the new registration fee I already paid when the permanent one shows up. And the way NC law is, I need to pay to carry insurance on the car I've already sold for a month while I still have the plate assigned to it.

Where are you planning on getting it inspected?

Snappy Lube on Leesville in Raleigh is the place the Raleigh service center has the "deal" with to do inspections- where they'll send someone up there to pay for it for you, which is what happened with me (after driving to Raleigh SC at direction of Charlotte, only to be told they don't actually do inspections there).

But they also said I could go anywhere, pay for it myself, and get reimbursed.... I've already lent Tesla enough $ though so I went with the "free" option.

Reactions: nerdy
Snappy Lube on Leesville in Raleigh is the place the Raleigh service center has the "deal" with to do inspections- where they'll send someone up there to pay for it for you, which is what happened with me (after driving to Raleigh SC at direction of Charlotte, only to be told they don't actually do inspections there).

But they also said I could go anywhere, pay for it myself, and get reimbursed.... I've already lent Tesla enough $ though so I went with the "free" option.
Now the next hurdle is getting the screws out of the rear license plate holder to switch the temp plate for the permanent.

Seems to be a screw to grommet mismatch issue - there are threads on this now. Light pressure, heavy pressure, push in, pull out - some are letting the SC deal with it. I wasn't successful today and will try again tomorrow. I have a SC appt next week for other items so that's my Plan B