Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ramblings/advice sought?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I'm not much of an expert on cars in general or EVs. I've been a fan of Tesla for some years, driven in friends' model Ss and test drove myself, but concluded I wouldn't buy one for a combination of reasons. I then put down an M3 deposit 18 months ago in the knowledge it was refundable.

I currently drive a Saab estate in pretty poor condition so definitely thinking about replacing in the next year or sooner.

I am 6'5" and back problems, driving position matters to me.

I have no option to charge overnight at home.

I only typically drive 6-7k a year - I don't drive at all for work. I have 2 kids and our main drives are family road trips/holidays.

A ~£50-60k car would be a significant investment for me, definitely possible but don't want to feel like I'm throwing money away.

So I sat in an M3 for the first time today, and between a) the smaller space, b) the likelihood of 7-12 months longer wait, c) the suggestion that first models will then be limited choice and no financing available (via Tesla), I am thinking I may want to look at a second hand MS instead, or abandon the whole idea and get a comfortable ICE upgrade for the next couple of years.

Any words of wisdom...?

Thanks!

For low mileage it is quite uneconomical to get a Model S, if you consider TCO/km.

Also, when the 3rd Generation superchargers arrive, Model 3 should be able to recharge at 150--200kW max, which is unlikely to work for Model S due to internal cable ratings and inferior battery cooling system.

In your position I'd probably wait for the entry level 50kWh M3 to make an appearance, which could be Q3.2019, or wait into 2020 for the VW I.D. Neo, which should have comparable price/range for its 50kWh version.
VW ID NEO EV

Thanks all.

Autonomous, what you said (financing should be available, maybe March for production) is what I was expecting until earlier today in a Tesla dealership where I was told otherwise!

The strong residuals is part of the appeal but I agree with you OPRCE that it's not great efficiency for low mileage... obviously not buying it solely for efficiency purposes but noone likes to feel like they're burning money

If I believed the entry-spec M3 was likely to be Q3 in the UK I might well hold out but it's been a long 18 months already and the dealer today was saying with confidence, nothing but the high-end specs til sometime 2020.

A family road trip might just be 150 miles each way, or maybe top end 3-400 miles each way. Although I am sure if I was loving a sufficiently sized EV I might make more continental holiday choices and drive (we're in London).

I’m 6’2” and to be honest I struggle to get comfortable in my Q4 2017 MS. It has full glass roof as with the sunroof version I would bang my head on the side all the time. The head rest doesn’t go up high enough for me so find that at times depending on what I am wearing, it can dig in-between my shoulder blades. I also find my eye level isn’t great as it’s almost in line with the headliner. If the sun visor didn’t exist it would be better, can’t use it anyway as then couldn’t see anything. I think some of the slightly older models with older gen interior have lower seating and are more comfortable but will depend on specific type from those I have sat in. Not sure on the M3 as not sat in one yet. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car but wish I had done more homework and been more picky around test drives and interior options.

Last edited:
If you can’t charge at home and don’t use it for work then where would you charge it? Using the Superchargers in London could be a real pain in the neck - traffic, and the fact they don’t tend to have many stalls means occupancy is often high.

I’d also be asking your friend for a long test drive, or see if Tesla will accommodate an extended rest drive. Obviously you need to be 100% it’s comfortable for you.

IMO PCP finance will be available from day one in the U.K. I don’t think you’ll see a RHD car until end of Q2 at the very earliest, and agree it’ll be the higher end versions. They need the cash.

Wouldn't the residuals for the car be needed in order for a third party to offer PCP (since Tesla don't offer finance directly)?

Residuals are always a guess and a 3rd party offering PCP on a Model 3 is likely to be very cautious. Inevitably a lower residual will mean higher monthly payments. Nothing to stop a 3rd party offering this if they wish.

The finance on S & X’s have switched PCP providers a couple of times over the last 2/3 years. The probability is Tesla are underwriting the cars residual which is why the ‘in house’ finance option has a very strong residual value. The vast majority of new cars in the U.K. are financed this way, and I see no reason why the Model 3 would be any different.

I strongly second the above suggestion for a long-term test-drive, i.e. at least a week but better a month, which applies equally to any BEV you may consider.

A few other points to carefully weigh are the potentially astronomical crash repair times and higher cost of out-of-warranty spare parts for a Tesla, which as a start-up and, let's be frank, relatively eccentric car company does not have its service department nearly as widespread, organised, smooth and economical as the dealerships or independent garages which can work on any established OEMs e.g. VW or Ford.

There are some right horror stories on this forum about owners who had an apparently minor rear-ender and are still waiting for spare parts to arrive 6 months later, with the car off the road. This strongly reflects in the insurance costs, as they must cover the increased risk, though even with that most insurers will only supply a replacement car for the first month.

I really don't mean to put you off Tesla, but definitely search for and read those type of stories [ e.g. What was your longest repair time in official Tesla Service? ] before committing your cash. It is always best to be fully informed, whatever you ultimately decide.

Granted this phenomenon is or has been worst for the Model S, and repair turnaround times will hopefully soon improve as promised, but it is still a hefty worry on the mind of all but the most infatuated Tesla owners.

I have no option to charge overnight at home.

I only typically drive 6-7k a year - I don't drive at all for work. I have 2 kids and our main drives are family road trips/holidays.

Any words of wisdom...?

Thanks!

Probably not the most compelling reasons to choose a full EV at this point. Charging away from home on a daily basis could be very irritating. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing that myself. Also 6-7k miles a year is not that much of a cost saving on fuel, especially as you are paying a premium to go EV in the first place.

On the other hand if you can come up with a reasonable daily charging solution, then running an EV in the city can only be a good thing.

IMO PCP finance will be available from day one in the U.K. I don’t think you’ll see a RHD car until end of Q2 at the very earliest, and agree it’ll be the higher end versions. They need the cash.

I agree otherwise they won't sell very many of them! The only question is how competitive the finance deals will be. The deal on our MX at 1.5% APR and a very generous 4 year residual was a no-brainer, but I'm not expecting anything like that sort of deal with the M3. I guess a lot will depend on demand and supply.

Thanks JG. I have indeed had a few rounds of argument with Islington Council about what they will and won't do - they looked at my road for their 2018 expansions ("100 new charge points in residential areas"), ruled it out due to pavement width, but are now promising to revisit for lamppost charge points they are exploring.