Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran 9.849 with my MX Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New personal best. I'm 235 lbs.. Need to lose 50 lbs to get into 9.70's...
20220922_184553.jpg
20220922_191456.jpg
My run is at 27 mins and 27 seconds in the video.

https://youtu.be/tcuDpv1NUHg?t=1641

4x6-1063.jpg

Nice job. I have a red model x plaid as well. What was the charge % when you started this run? You only made one run?
I was 95% for the 9.858 run and 92% for the 9.849 run. I made 3 runs.. 1st one was 9.858 with 95%, 2nd one was 9.849 with 92% and 3rd one was 88% and had a messed up launch (got an error on launch control and car didn't take off hard on 3rd run.. Still ran 10.20 @ 142.5 mph or so but horrible 60' time. I had the car out of drag strip mode before the 3rd run and couldn't get it warmed up before my last run.. Said 5 mins remaining for peak performance.

Reactions: Richbot
You inspired me, ordered refreshed and better race gear and am headed to Lebanon valley this Friday! Any pointers would be appreciated. Done plenty of drag racing but we’re talking clapped out fox bodies and stuff. Itching ever as powerful as this. Figured the track was the safest places to do this.

You inspired me, ordered refreshed and better race gear and am headed to Lebanon valley this Friday! Any pointers would be appreciated. Done plenty of drag racing but we’re talking clapped out fox bodies and stuff. Itching ever as powerful as this. Figured the track was the safest places to do this.
I would recommend asking the people you line up with to let you go in first (light the 2nd bulb) and give you a couple of seconds so that you can drop the car in launch mode. I highly recommend using Drag Strip Mode. The car will be faster than in Plaid mode only. Staging as shallow as possible will slightly help ET's as you get a little more roll out.
BTW, the latest video from THE PLAID CHANNEL on youtube has my 9.85 run on several camera angles..

• Love
Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Floridasun I’ll check out the latest vid. Really enjoyed his content, my experience at the strip is from decades ago but we will go out and enjoy ourselves safely.

Bringing my oldest daughter who’s into speed. Introduce her to the racetrack and see if she wants to bows or my gear and try her first pass.

What a turd can't even crack into the 9.7x's :p time to gut that sucker 1 seat plaid X

Think it's traction limited at all? Seems like a 1.61 60' is just sorta-ok for a car running in the high-9's?
Main issue is my weight.. I'm 235 lbs. Each 100 lbs is .1 in the 1/4 mile. The guy who ran the record (Brooks Weisblat from DragTimes) is probably 140 lbs or so, 100 lbs less than me, so .1 quicker. I also need to run higher tire pressure.. If there is traction, more tire pressure = better mph and better 60'

Last edited:
Floridasun I’ll check out the latest vid. Really enjoyed his content, my experience at the strip is from decades ago but we will go out and enjoy ourselves safely.

Bringing my oldest daughter who’s into speed. Introduce her to the racetrack and see if she wants to bows or my gear and try her first pass.
I used to race competitively from 2003 to 2008, mostly in Corvette events but I also did participate in local bracket racing.

1.6 still seems like it has to be losing some time on launch when drag-radial 2wd cars running in the 9.7x/140mph range are cutting sub-1.5's, and you're not losing 100lbs dude, or at least I hope you're not, not sure your neck could handle the strip anymore after that lol. Also, 100lb might be worth a tenth on a 3500lb car, but I doubt it's worth a tenth on a 5500lb car

So what I'm saying is, you need to full send this thing with some track wheels and tires and really get stupid pulling the interior so we can live vicariously

• Funny
1.6 still seems like it has to be losing some time on launch when drag-radial 2wd cars running in the 9.7x/140mph range are cutting sub-1.5's, and you're not losing 100lbs dude, or at least I hope you're not, not sure your neck could handle the strip anymore after that lol. Also, 100lb might be worth a tenth on a 3500lb car, but I doubt it's worth a tenth on a 5500lb car

So what I'm saying is, you need to full send this thing with some track wheels and tires and really get stupid pulling the interior so we can live vicariously
It makes no difference. I used to drag race competitively and regardless of vehicle weight, it has always been about .1 for each 100 lbs. Rotating mass is worth much more (4 times). Lightweight wheels like UP-03's are probably good for at least .2 in the 1/4 mile. Weight also affects 60' times. Look at the 60' time of the Model X Plaid when they raced it against the Porsche Turbo S with 6 people in the Plaid.. It dropped significantly. It went from a best of 1.57 to 1.71 60' time because of the weight. I'm planning on losing 50 lbs.. That should get me into the 9.79 range.

you're not the only one here who has bracket raced ;)

traction limitations are a lot easier to fix than a diet
It did not feel like I was spinning.. Interestingly, when I raced in Orlando, I did get 4 tire spin but my 60' time was actually the same as in Bradenton. However, I was running 4 psi more in the tires in Orlando than in Bradenton. That gave me better mph but less traction.
Dropping tire pressure increases traction but costs you mph. On a Tesla, you really want to run the highest tire pressure you can based on traction.

Finished setting up Hans connection to helmet, about ready for tomorrow
Best pressure for tires you’ve had? Any timing pointers with tree and launch control might save me some time as well
Tire pressure depends on track prep. If track is prepped well, run 48 to 49 psi.. More tire pressure means more mph. It also means less traction if track prep is not ideal. If you spin with that presure, drop it to 45 psi.. Launch control is straight forward. The shallower you stage, the better ET. So, try to barely light the 2nd staging bulb. Then step on the brake and floor the accelerator. Once launch control is ready, it will tell you. It takes about 10 seconds to fully drop into cheetah stance. The problem is that the light will drop after the other car is staged as well and you don't have 10 secs to launch. You can launch before the cheetah stance is complete but you may be a few hundreds of a sec slower. Best thing to do is to ask tne person in the other lane to let you light up the 2nd staging bulb first and give you a couple of secs to drop the suspension before they light the 2nd staging bulb.
Launching is easy. Just take the foot off the brake and the car launches. This only works if you turn on drag strip mode.