Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran out of juice, 12V and main pack drained, need info.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wycolo, Bill; Can you clarify what the 3x2 cover is for (rear hatch?) and where it is located? I'm making a note to check out where all the various mechanical releases/secret switches are located so I'm ready if the unexpected happens.
It pops off to reveal a pull tab that manually opens the rear hatch (from inside the car). It's located directly below the light in the center of the rear hatch below the window.

Last edited:
As much as we typically agree, here I have to disagree. (sorry!) The link you posted had to do with someone taking electricity without asking.

I've found places to plug in everywhere, and asked each time. Hotels typically have outdoor plugs for their maintenance crews. Same with all establishments, for that matter. RV parks are everywhere and supply higher power options. I've never been at a loss for finding places to plug in. Ever.
That's because of your convenient location, Bonnie. Try to find somewhere to plug in between Erie and Jamestopwn, for example.

If you mentally make the commitment to always always have a buffer BEFORE it's an emergency, you will have a myriad of charging choices and won't be stuck anywhere.
This is simply false; saying it betrays your "California thinking".

Even on my upstate NY - Michigan road trip, for which I left *extensive* buffers (I assumed 450 Wh/mi and left a 20 mile buffer), I had to stop at very specific locations; because of my extensively redundant planning, there was *a* place to charge in each case, but not more. Between London and Sarnia there was a whole lot of nothing. Those farmhouses might let you plug in.... they might not.... they probably don't have outdoor plugs, anyway. Once I got to Michigan, *the power was out due to ice storms* in half the blocks.

Now, I was getting much worse mileage than 450 -- apparently I was getting the worst recorded mileage of anyone on this forum over a long distance (We believe this is due to snow accumulating in the wheel wells and creating massive friction.)

My charging spots were planned less than 70 miles apart, and it was very iffy.

Because I plan very very conservatively, I had one place to plug in. A "myriad"? No way. I never got down to 0, but I did get down to the car bleeping at me and telling me to plug in soon, on pretty much every leg of the trip, and I had no -- zero -- backup charging options on some of those trip legs. (Or to be more accurate, the alternate options had no power or had otherwise failed; my original plan had at least two charging locations in each city, and each 70 miles apart.)

And this is actually a pretty civilized region. I was never out of cellphone service, and I was never worried about freezing to death in a ditch. (I ended up lengthening my route on the way back by going through Detroit just to avoid this long run of empty.)

Imagine the situtation of the owner in Saskatchewan.

I agree that if you plan conservatively enough you will be OK (I was OK, although it was very nervewracking). But if you follow the standard recommendations here? You have a decent chance of ending up stuck with a drained batttery and no easy way to charge it, due to weather. Of course, Bonnie, you live in sunny California and so don't have a clue about weather.

Right now, you CANNOT reliably do Buffalo-Cleveland in one go in a model S in the winter. (In the summer, there are RV parks and it's not a problem.)

If you have located two reliable sources of power in Erie and can stay there overnight, then you're OK.

There's a reason I've been calling for an Erie Supercharger, as I notice two other people did in this thread alone -- Tesla Motors Inc. has of course ignored this completely, because that's the sort of company they are (one who doesn't listen and doesn't pay attention).

- - - Updated - - -

Roadster owners will never be within driving distance of a supercharger. And this just hasn't been an issue for us.

Because, apart from a couple of truly hardcore members on this forum (tip of the hat to DougG), Roadster owners are simply not going to be driving their cars in the winter in the snowbelt. It's a convertible, for goodness sakes!

Last edited:
I found myself nodding at everything you are saying, @neroden. I especially "enjoy" the impact of winter weather and temperatures on the car's range. In my Prius (gack), when I slow down in the winter it's because of road conditions. In the Tesla (yay!), I slow down... way down... because I have to worry about my range and recharging options that incur time penalties from a half-hour to two days.

But... I have NOT had the same experiences you apparently have of Tesla not listening and not paying attention. I have found them to be very responsive on the sales and service sides. I would agree that they have considerable work to do on *proactive* communications. I think the Supercharger topic is particularly frustrating for many people because there are SO MANY places where Superchargers would be useful -- many more than Tesla can build-out over the next couple of years!

Alan

There's a reason I've been calling for an Erie Supercharger, as I notice two other people did in this thread alone -- Tesla Motors Inc. has of course ignored this completely, because that's the sort of company they are (one who doesn't listen and doesn't pay attention).

Imagine the situation of the owner in Saskatchewan.

Thanks for thinking of me (are there any other SK owners??), even if SK is being used synonymously with Timbuktu in this case.

The southern region is actually pretty well covered, thanks to Sun Country Highway. However, north of the 54th Parallel (where I am) is still the vast wilderness of sparsely-populated communities separated by hundreds of kilometers most people imagine when they think of SK. :redface:

Charging options are exactly nil right now. Hopefully that will change by the end of summer as I've sponsored a couple SCH stations for the area.

That's because of your convenient location, Bonnie. Try to find somewhere to plug in between Erie and Jamestopwn, for example.

Even on my upstate NY - Michigan road trip, for which I left *extensive* buffers (I assumed 450 Wh/mi and left a 20 mile buffer), I had to stop at very specific locations; because of my extensively redundant planning, there was *a* place to charge in each case, but not more. Between London and Sarnia there was a whole lot of nothing. Those farmhouses might let you plug in.... they might not.... they probably don't have outdoor plugs, anyway. Once I got to Michigan, *the power was out due to ice storms* in half the blocks.

Now, I was getting much worse mileage than 450 -- apparently I was getting the worst recorded mileage of anyone on this forum over a long distance (We believe this is due to snow accumulating in the wheel wells and creating massive friction.)

My charging spots were planned less than 70 miles apart, and it was very iffy.

Because I plan very very conservatively, I had one place to plug in. A "myriad"? No way. I never got down to 0, but I did get down to the car bleeping at me and telling me to plug in soon, on pretty much every leg of the trip, and I had no -- zero -- backup charging options on some of those trip legs. (Or to be more accurate, the alternate options had no power or had otherwise failed; my original plan had at least two charging locations in each city, and each 70 miles apart.)

And this is actually a pretty civilized region. I was never out of cellphone service, and I was never worried about freezing to death in a ditch. (I ended up lengthening my route on the way back by going through Detroit just to avoid this long run of empty.)

Imagine the situtation of the owner in Saskatchewan.

I agree that if you plan conservatively enough you will be OK (I was OK, although it was very nervewracking). But if you follow the standard recommendations here? You have a decent chance of ending up stuck with a drained batttery and no easy way to charge it, due to weather. Of course, Bonnie, you live in sunny California and so don't have a clue about weather.

Right now, you CANNOT reliably do Buffalo-Cleveland in one go in a model S in the winter. (In the summer, there are RV parks and it's not a problem.)

If you have located two reliable sources of power in Erie and can stay there overnight, then you're OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Because, apart from a couple of truly hardcore members on this forum (tip of the hat to DougG), Roadster owners are simply not going to be driving their cars in the winter in the snowbelt. It's a convertible, for goodness sakes!

You really do not have a clue do you!? If you did you would have the common sense to just ask politely to charge at someones home if you had to, or at a place of business. Once you actually explain the car to someone you are speaking with they will be more then intrigued about the car and love to help you out. Ill say this again. If two guys can drive the model S 85kw from the Texas/Mexican border all the way to the Panama Canal! Anyone in the US should have no problem at all going form point A to point B.

I have not received my car yet (three more weeks to go) but my sister has the fist MS in Baltimore and she has a 60kw without one issue period.

I have not received my car yet (three more weeks to go) but my sister has the fist MS in Baltimore and she has a 60kw without one issue period.
Not to be argumentative, but there were many other MS in Baltimore before your sister received her 60. The first 60's did not deliver until last March. Lots of us in the Baltimore area had been enjoying our 85's for months at that point. Just sayin'

You assume so much. Yes, I do live in California. I live here NOW. I grew up in Minnesota. 20 years there. You know, that place where we have blizzards and drifts across the road that will bury your car before you're found and where the ice storms will glue your doors shut? And then another 20 or so years in Colorado where you learn to always carry some food, water, and sleeping bags in the back because if you get stranded in back country, you might be stranded for awhile.

So yes. I live in California. Does that automatically mean you get to dismiss my opinion about anything to do with weather? I have 40 years in snow. You?

A Lady shouldn't have to reveal her age, even when tormented by someone den se.

I've never understood the reluctance of anyone to share their age. As a wise young friend said to me one time, "You'll know you're old when you start lying about your age or not wanting people to know." And I love when people say "I'm this old, but I only look this old." Like there's something wrong with who we are.

I'm 60. And that's not platinum blonde in my pic on my profile. That's hard-earned bright natural white. And I'm active and happy and involved in life. And I have no apologies about being 60. :)