Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran over something now $17k bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seminole: So, ANY damage to a battery coolant line would require a battery replacement? That seems extreme, but I guess proprietary design is important to avoid unauthorized repair issues.
The coolant lines are attached to plastic fittings on the front of the battery pack at the lowest point. Kind of low hanging fruit waiting to be attacked by road alligators. If the coolant connection on the battery is damaged, Tesla says replace the entire battery.

I hit something in an ICE car once, put a hole in the transmission oil pan. I needed a new transmission. not much different.

Seminole: So, ANY damage to a battery coolant line would require a battery replacement? That seems extreme, but I guess proprietary design is important to avoid unauthorized repair issues.

The most "fragile" part of the coolant line is the connection to the battery pack. If you put the car up on a lift and grab the coolant line and hang from it, you will not damage the coolant line itself, you will damage the connector on the battery pack that the coolant line attaches too. When that connection on the battery pack is damaged, Tesla has no provision for repairing the coolant line connection, they replace the entire battery pack.

Looking at the Rich Rebuilds video, the front of the battery pack where the coolant lines attach is very vulnerable to damage...

Anyone with a skid plate... does the aftermarket skid plate extend back far enough to protect the front of the battery pack?

Keith

MPP just responded to my question, "Does the MPP plate protect the connection between coolant lines and the battery?

YES! Here's a photo for you., looking toward the front of the Model Y

1655385073626.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and JonB65
MPP skid plate is 3mm thick, the RPM Tesla plates are 1.5mm thick. In the installation portion of the RPM Tesla video he says "if UPS bends it, you can bend it back" and shows by bending the plate with his fingers... If I were planning to do serious off-roading I would go with the MPP plate. The light weight, urethane coating and noise reduction of the RPM Tesla plates may be better for those that will never leave pavement, but I am not sure they give much more protection than the stock plastic panels.

I think the best of both worlds would be to get the MPP plate and put a layer of dynamat on it.

Keith

<edit>Just ordered the MPP skid plate. Sent them an e-mail asking if a layer of dynamat would interfere with fitment, and if not how many square feet of dynamat do I need... I also asked when they are going to make a rear skid plate.</edit>

Last edited:
Reactions: e645824 and JonB65
Update to my post above:

MPP replied that many of their customers use dynamat on the skid plate, just check fitment to make sure it doesn't interfere with mounting and he measured the plate for me at roughly 30" by 35", so it will take 7.3 square feet would provide enough coverage. I doubt they sell by the decimal, so I will order 8 square feet :)

PS: Anyone who have installed dynamat... on a flat as a pancake surface like the skid plate, do you really need installation tools?

Update to my post above:

MPP replied that many of their customers use dynamat on the skid plate, just check fitment to make sure it doesn't interfere with mounting and he measured the plate for me at roughly 30" by 35", so it will take 7.3 square feet would provide enough coverage. I doubt they sell by the decimal, so I will order 8 square feet :)

PS: Anyone who have installed dynamat... on a flat as a pancake surface like the skid plate, do you really need installation tools?
You’ll want a cheap roller tool for any panel. It makes it easier to ensure it adheres to the panel.