Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rando-braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was cruising down I-35 from Austin to San Antonio and had TACC and AP running when all of the sudden the car just went to a halt!

I luckily had it the pedal so the car behind me didn’t rear end me going 70!

All in all things played out ok but geez did it truly scare me and the rest of the ride had me driving with anxiety.

TIA, I’m running the latest update “7” in my M3 LR AWD.

I was cruising down I-35 from Austin to San Antonio and had TACC and AP running when all of the sudden the car just went to a halt!

All in all things played out ok but geez did it truly scare me and the rest of the ride had me driving with anxiety.

So it came to a halt which is a complete stop or did it briefly apply brakes and then resume? There's a big difference.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Just did a long road trip through Appalachia, about 95% of which was driven on AP/TACC. The car randomly/sharply braked for no reason in two situations: coming uphill towards an overpass (presumably the car mistook the stationary overpass for a stopped car) and when approaching an exit with construction/barriers where the road was also curving, so that again the car probably thought there was a stationary obstacle in the road. The car pretty much immediately started accelerating again, though; it was a disconcerting jolt, but the car never halted.

This will probably happen to anyone who uses TACC/AP regularly. My theory is that many of these events that I have experienced are caused by inaccurate lane tagging of adjacent slower moving traffic. That is to say, my car misjudges cars in the next lane as being in my lane and thus slows down to match their speed. This happens most frequently when driving around a curve where it really struggles to determine which lanes the other cars are in.

Yeah, it happens.
One of many TACC / AP bugs.

Eventually, you will learn when to expect them, and be prepared to over-ride erroneous AP behavior.

All part and parcel of Tesla ownership.

Reactions: diezel_dave

It has never happened to me.

It’s funny but phantom braking has rarely occurred for me. Then again I’ve only driven the car 1000 miles so I probably haven’t hit the conditions yet...

What is interesting though is that the one time it did, it was on the exact stretch of highway that my Toyota Prius Prime would incorrectly activate the imminent crash warning. It was a curve on the HOV lane. Perhaps the tech is very similar after all...

I have it happen on Highway 24 in number 4 lane when driving west from the Caldecott Tunnel near the Broadway offramp. speed limit suddenly shows 50 mph on the dash. I then accelerate until speed limit shows 65 again. Started turning AP off since getting off at next exit. AP is still great to have. It just needs work.