Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random $0.67 refunds from Tesla Canada - supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Stumped by this one, so reaching out to the collective wisdom of TMC. I live in Rochester, NY and have a Model 3 with pay-per-use supercharging. Back in August, I traveled to Ontario, Canada, and used superchargers there twice. Details for both sessions below; the charges were posted to my card under Tesla_CA. Everything about the charges seemed right - converted US$ amounts closely match the amounts in CAD listed on the charging receipts (outside of the fact that the card tied to my Tesla account had foreign transaction fees and so my bank charged me extra - but hey, that's my mistake).

Fast forward to today (some 2 months later): I just received two identical refunds of US$ 0.67 from Tesla_CA. This happened through no action on my side and I've not dealt with Tesla Canada at all outside of those two charging sessions. Also, _CA in this case is Canada, not California - I know this because I got partial refunds for the foreign transaction fees too. That last bit also makes me thing that those refunds are, in fact, associated with existing supercharging transactions - if it was an open refund not tied to a transaction, my bank would not have attached a foreign transaction fee refund to them.

So, any thoughts on what could these refunds be for? I did email Tesla, but we all know how that goes.

Mississauga, ON - Winston Churchill Blvd.
8/2/2019 4:39PM
$9.54
Power Tier 2 18 min @ $0.53/min $9.54
Tax included $1.10

Grimsby, ON
8/11/2019 8:38PM
$2.70
Power Tier 2 6 min @ $0.45/min $2.70
Tax included $0.31

We also got $18.93 back from Supercharging a day or so ago. All domestic US. I think they are either recalcing a lot of charges for the local kWh rates or doing a sample audit of some. I didn’t get any detail, just an inbox notice in the app. Is there more detail online somewhere?

Reactions: ilyak
We also got $18.93 back from Supercharging a day or so ago. All domestic US. I think they are either recalcing a lot of charges for the local kWh rates or doing a sample audit of some. I didn’t get any detail, just an inbox notice in the app. Is there more detail online somewhere?
No notice in the inbox for me, and no other refunds. I’ve used superchargers in the US a bunch of times since, both per-kWh and per-minute ones.

And I’ve not found any additional info online either.

Mine correspond to my last two charges. No idea why. My account still shows "pay per use supercharging".

VSJCblc.png

Possibly off-topic: this reminded me that I need to update the card on my tesla.com account. So I tried, and got "Sorry, your credit card could not be saved at this time, please try again later." Not sure if that's related to these credits, but it's odd.

EDIT: There's some discussion on reddit at Partial supercharging refunds showing up : teslamotors — no solid information on what's going on though.

Last edited:
Mine correspond to my last two charges. No idea why. My account still shows "pay per use supercharging".

VSJCblc.png

Possibly off-topic: this reminded me that I need to update the card on my tesla.com account. So I tried, and got "Sorry, your credit card could not be saved at this time, please try again later." Not sure if that's related to these credits, but it's odd.

EDIT: There's some discussion on reddit at Partial supercharging refunds showing up : teslamotors — no solid information on what's going on though.

I’ve gotten the same error for about eighteen months now.