Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random black screen and reverse camera error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this problem. About once a minute the center screen goes black for a few seconds. Then comes back with bright screen and then after a few seconds the screen dims to correct brightness setting.

In addition to the problem above, when switching to reverse, randomly (60-80% of time) the reversing camera does not come on. It displays connection failed or something like that. Sometimes the camera comes on, but suddenly goes of or makes somekind of on/off blinking.

Any ideas about the cause of these issues?

Both issues for you as well? Have you noticed, does weather (temperature) changes affect this issue at all?
Yes I have both issues. Screen one is intermittent and less annoying but camera has become consistent. I have reset car to factory setting and problems still exist. I have appointment set for this now. I think like the other post said camera needs replacement.

Ok, now that I think of it, my issue only comes up at very moist weather so that would explain the camera issue when the moisture gets inside the camera.

Now I have to schedule a service appointment.

Thanks for the help to all, service now booked. Hopefully ranger will fix this issue in a week :)

What surprised me was the cost! A basic cam module costs over 600€ and the work 150€. I think my iPhone 12 mini was about the same price and packs a whole lot more tech 😄

The other thing that makes me 🧐 is the fact that Tesla designs software so unprofessionally. If a camera module fails, all basic functions like air conditioning etc fail because center display malfunctions😀 We had this kind of crappy code in our studies as examples of poor software development.

I hope same coders don't do software design on the more crucial driver display code, wonder what happens if one of the autopilot cameras malfunction 😄