TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Random Bolt Sightings

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Pilot_51, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

Given that I'm in SE Michigan where the Chevrolet Bolt is made, I have a unique opportunity to see it in the wild before it even reaches customers. Well, today was my lucky day. As I drove past the 22 Mile & Romeo Plank intersection, I caught a glance of what at first I thought was a 2016 Volt (focusing on the grille), but it looked different and I wondered if it happened to be a Bolt, so I checked the dashcam footage to confirm. This was the first Bolt I've seen, including pre-production models (last NAIAS I went to was 2014).

2016-10-12_bolt_sighting.png

2. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Liked, but not well liked.

:eek: Nice try GM, but that's pretty fugly.

• Dislike x 1
  3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

#3 JohnSnowNW, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    You appear not to have captured its good side.

• Funny x 6
  4. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

It has a good side? Where? :p

I don't think it looks good, but it's still pretty exciting to see BEVs in a world full of ICE cars and hybrids (mostly Volts).

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. cranker2k

cranker2k Member

I was excited to hear about more electric cars coming with longer range. First look at Bolt in picture few months back, without comparable regular sized cars, I thought it can be legit. But now it looks just like other pure BEVs except for Tesla, which is yet another GLORIFIED GOLF CART! So small and can easily get smashed in an accident.

• Dislike x 2
  6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maybe it's the perspective of that shot that makes it look more like the Spark EV than in other photos of the Bolt EV I've seen. Too bad they didn't stick with the orange concept because I think that's the best looking version... especially with that all-glass roof.

7. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

Too bad they didn't electrify the Camaro. That would be sweet.

• Like x 2
  8. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Possible, but you'd think the placement next to that Lincoln whale grin would make up for that ;)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

My eyes...coming from a Prius C (and a gen 3 hatchback before that), I am so done with fugly econo-looking boxes.

• Like x 1
  10. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

I was browsing through some old dashcam snapshots and found this from September 2015:

2015-09-09_camo-car-1.png
    I had no idea it was a Bolt at the time and remember comparing it with the Spark EV. Now that I know what the production Bolt looks like, it's obvious. So, apparently the one today was my second Bolt sighting.

• Informative x 1
  11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I find the C to be the most visually appealing of all the Prius models. I still have a Gen 1 Prius, which I consider homely but lovable (like the original VW Beetle). However, I find the newest Prius to be an aesthetic affront. Not as bad as the Mirai, but still ghastly.

12. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Didn't the original Volt design look a bit like the Camaro?

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Damn neck snapper

14. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

volt concept.jpg
    The Volt concept does look similar to the Camaro. Too bad the production model doesn't look anything like it. The Volt does look better than the Bolt IMO. The Volt might have done well as a 200mi BEV, but we will never know.

15. sperrysburg

sperrysburg Member

Several weeks ago I saw two Bolts parked in supercharger stalls at Tesla's design studio in Hawthorne, CA. That seemed pretty odd to me. No they were not charging there. It turns out that the Motor Trend guys had them (testing for upcoming review and article) and brought them over to Tesla for the heck of it to show the engineers there. They asked my opinion of them when I inquired as to why the cars were there. When I told them I used to own a Volt they let me sit in the car and play around with the touch screen. Unfortunately, no test drive. The interior was typical GM and felt fairly spacious for the size of the car.

• Informative x 3
  16. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Funny thing is when I first read your post I thought you said:

"...I saw two Bolts parked in 'a' supercharger stall..."

Had to re-read it several times. Guess it's just my bias after looking at the pictures above...

17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Yes, the new Prius has lines that create an aesthetic that is overall offensive to the eyes. I have grown somewhat fond of the C styling (perhaps fondness due to 4+ years of flawless ownership). I didn't like gen 1/2 designs all that much, and I actually liked the look of the gen 3 hatchback at every angle except for the rear. In fact, I find the hind end of any Prius to be the biggest downside as far as aesthetic design (well, except the gen 4, which is ugly from practically any angle).

18. The_Mike

The_Mike Member

My wife absolutely hates the look of the new Prius. I really don't understand why Toyota would go with a polarizing design in a mass-market appeal volume seller. I understand the idea that people want to be seen driving a car that's recognizably a Prius, but yikes.

19. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

My theory is that the weird design is meant to appeal to a younger demographic. I think Toyota was worried about the Prius being seen as an older person's car.

20. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Yeah, I guess they were trying to overcome the stodgy image of the Prius... not just with the new sheet metal, but also with their police chase TV ads to make it seem like a sexy, fun car to drive. I guess they were trying to Scion-ify the Prius (and we know how well that "edgy" brand turned out for Toyota). They should have stuck with and improved their "green" creds on the Prius by offering a more compelling model along the lines of the Chevy Volt. The all-electric range of the Plugin Prius was pathetic and the new Prius Prime isn't much better.