Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Car Alarm Triggers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MX with AP1 and I got the Enhanced Anti-Theft installed.

I'm currently running 2019.16.2 and I've noticed the car alarm go off a few times. The car is in my garage, no one inside the car or even around the car.

Anyone else come across this?

I have a MX with AP1 and I got the Enhanced Anti-Theft installed.

I'm currently running 2019.16.2 and I've noticed the car alarm go off a few times. The car is in my garage, no one inside the car or even around the car.

Anyone else come across this?

Had the exact same thing happen the other day, twice. Nothing since. First time I walked by it and it went off. Second time I wasn't even close to it. In garage both times.

AP 2.5, enhanced theft, 2019.16.2

• Helpful
Reactions: mkhalasi85
My car spent a significant amount of time in service for this issue. It would go off at night in my garage for no reason several times. Did alot of "fixes" but looks like what finally fixed it was relocation of the wiring harness according to SC.

That's encouraging that there's a fix. Mine just went off again randomly in my garage. It seems weird it's consistently at home in garages. Maybe it's just a numbers game since that's where we park most.

Just made a service appointment, hoping for a fix. Otherwise, I'll just remove Enhanced Security and go back to stock.

Edit: I'm on 2019.20.1 now, and that definitely didn't fix it...

That's encouraging that there's a fix. Mine just went off again randomly in my garage. It seems weird it's consistently at home in garages. Maybe it's just a numbers game since that's where we park most.

Just made a service appointment, hoping for a fix. Otherwise, I'll just remove Enhanced Security and go back to stock.

Edit: I'm on 2019.20.1 now, and that definitely didn't fix it...

I found that leaving it in the garage and using the app to check status (effectively waking up the car) often causes these issues. Were you able to keep the stock dome light part?

Hi All,

Is there an option (like in Sentry mode) to NOT use it in marked/memorized locations???
It seems like in your garage might be a place where you want it to be off...
Unless of course you live in a not safe area.

Shawn

Got this twice now. Both times where when out of town in the forest. Car parked, nothing around. Even reviewed the sentry video. Nothing. First time I disabled everything, sentry, alarm and tilt. Solve the issue for the weekend. This morning at another location it did it again. I disabled only the sentry since this was the message I got on my phone that sentry triggered the alarm. But then it happened again 30min later. Disabled the tilt and alarm and everything is ok.

That what made me thing that it was the tilt and lead me to that post.

I’ll check with my SC for the wiring thing.

Thanks.

I found that leaving it in the garage and using the app to check status (effectively waking up the car) often causes these issues. Were you able to keep the stock dome light part?

I ended up canceling my appointment last month to give firmware a chance to fix it. But no luck. Have had at least 2 more false alarms, and 2 likely REALLY hare-trigger alarms. I've got a new mobile service appointment set for next week. I'm hoping they can just turn the motion off, so they don't have to remove the Enhanced Security piece all together.

From my texts w service, they say the motion detecting is super sensitive, and as of now, there's no way to adjust it.

Got this twice now. Both times where when out of town in the forest. Car parked, nothing around. Even reviewed the sentry video. Nothing. First time I disabled everything, sentry, alarm and tilt. Solve the issue for the weekend. This morning at another location it did it again. I disabled only the sentry since this was the message I got on my phone that sentry triggered the alarm. But then it happened again 30min later. Disabled the tilt and alarm and everything is ok.

That what made me thing that it was the tilt and lead me to that post.

I’ll check with my SC for the wiring thing.

Thanks.

I agree. Definitely thinking its Tilt/Intrusion as that's the trigger for the Enhanced Security. It'd be awesome if it wasn't all or nothing, and we could just disable Tilt. But to get sentry, you have to go all-in on the security features.

I got my X last November and got the enhanced anti thief installed a month later. So it worked fine for more than 6 month without false trigger. Could it be a firmware update that just made it more sensitive? Or maybe a failure from the unit that would need it to be replaced?

Good question. I've only had mine installed for about 2-months, so I didn't have much of a sample size for false alarms. But seems like it could be related to software updates. Seemed to be around 2019.16.2 when I first started getting triggers, which is also what OP reported being on.

I have a new model X and they were able to install the enhanced alarm before they delivered the car. I have had it about 6 weeks now, and a couple weeks ago, the alarm went off in my office parking lot two days in a row. There is really just people from our company, not heavy traffic at all. I scheduled a service center visit for next week, but it has not gone off again since.

Those two days, it went off around noon and 3PM. Just once per day. It has not gone off anywhere else. I was thinking something to do with heat, but I am just speculating.

As I was typing this... my alarm went off again. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogobec
Tesla service analysed the logs and it seems that it’s my faulty FWD sensor that Triggered the alarm. I have had my right FWD not functional because of a “need calibration” message that I never managed to get rid of. Tesla ranger told me it was a faulty sensor and they ordered the part. They are coming next Tuesday do replace it. Hopefully this is really the cause and my alarm will stop triggering. :)

I have seen so such issues on my doors. Wonder if it is something similar with mine. I had thought it was related to heat, but the weather was much milder a couple days ago, and it did it again. What is weird to me is that it only does it when I am at work in our parking lot. It never does it at the gym or when parked in my garage.

I have seen so such issues on my doors. Wonder if it is something similar with mine. I had thought it was related to heat, but the weather was much milder a couple days ago, and it did it again. What is weird to me is that it only does it when I am at work in our parking lot. It never does it at the gym or when parked in my garage.

Mine only does it at work too. Just out of curiosity, do you park next to a speed bump? When I charge my car at work, the charger is located very close to a speed bump. My theory is that when heavy cars/trucks go over that speed bump fast, it shakes the car and perhaps triggers the alarm. I can't think of anything else because it only happens in that one spot that I park while charging.

Interesting idea. No. There is no speed bumps in my parking lot. Actually pretty nice surface there. There are some trees. Wonder if shadows through windshield could do it? Seems the most common cause I have heard of is a malfunctioning latch on a door. I suspect that may be the cause, but just seems odd it would only do it when I am at work.

The mobile service guy just left here. I had two issues, I reported (and a third one I just asked him about and he fixed).

The alarm going off seemingly randomly is not fixed. He said the diagnostics showed it was a motion that set off the alarm, not a door latch. So not sure what could be causing it. They are going to open a real service center visit to have the center sensor replaced. It could certainly just be faulty. He also looked if he could see any pinched wires or anything behind the dome-light where the sensors protrude. Nothing obvious there.

It was interesting because the alarm finally went off at home. It would always just do it at work, sometimes multiple times in the afternoon. It literally went off an hour or so before the tech arrived.

Hopefully replacing the central sensor will finally fix it. I want the alarm, but if it just goes off randomly throughout the day, it sort of makes it pointless (and obnoxious).