Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random "Car needs service" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I unplugged my car from a supercharger I got in and hit the break like literally any other time I would get in the car. All of a sudden I get the error boop and a message saying "Car needs service. Car may not restart". Then I got the error boop again and a message saying it was checking the systems. Got another error boop immediately after that, still saying the car needs service and may not restart. A couple seconds later I got the error boop and a message saying the car may shutdown unexpectedly. A few seconds later I got one last error boop saying the car is shutting down. As far as I could tell, the car didn't actually shut down. I did the double scroll wheel reset, followed by going into the menu and telling the car to power off. After that, everything seemed to come back up with no error messages.

I installed 2018.46.2 yesterday morning, but I want to believe that has nothing to do with it.
I'll likely call Tesla service on the way home from work today, but I'm dreading that 1 Hr wait time.

Anyone else hear of this happening? Is this the precursor to something important about to give up the ghost?

This happened to me and I called service straight away.. They checked logs and had me drive it to them ASAP. Ended up being a bad drive
unit!! Call your local service.. I assume its this? (301) 738-6523 Dial 2 for service and then immediately hit 2 (no option for it..) And it will ring your local service center and not roll to the national one!

Reactions: xAgyex
This happened to me and I called service straight away.. They checked logs and had me drive it to them ASAP. Ended up being a bad drive
unit!! Call your local service.. I assume its this? (301) 738-6523 Dial 2 for service and then immediately hit 2 (no option for it..) And it will ring your local service center and not roll to the national one!
That's the Rockville SC's number. Do they all have the same menu system? I would prefer Owings Mills.

One day this week I left work, my Model S was stationary (connected to one of the EVSEs in the parking deck). Disconnected it, then proceeded to get into it to go home.

Error beep, "Acceleration reduced, contact Tesla service"
Error beep, "Car may not restart, contact Tesla service"
And a bunch of other error messages on the dash and the middle screen.

Roadside assistance said it's the 12v system based on remote diagnostics. However, I got absolutely no warning that the 12v system may have had an issue.

I had to have my car towed. It's been at Springfield NJ for a few days now. They haven't told me what's wrong with it yet.

One day this week I left work, my Model S was stationary (connected to one of the EVSEs in the parking deck). Disconnected it, then proceeded to get into it to go home.

Error beep, "Acceleration reduced, contact Tesla service"
Error beep, "Car may not restart, contact Tesla service"
And a bunch of other error messages on the dash and the middle screen.

Roadside assistance said it's the 12v system based on remote diagnostics. However, I got absolutely no warning that the 12v system may have had an issue.

I had to have my car towed. It's been at Springfield NJ for a few days now. They haven't told me what's wrong with it yet.

iRia, this is all so weird, a lot of people have reported this issue. Wonder if it is a software issue with the new release. I had my 12v battery replaced last week. So...No clue what is going on. Also, the SC said sometimes "Car may not restart" might be due to battery heater, and happens a lot in winter.

iRia, this is all so weird, a lot of people have reported this issue. Wonder if it is a software issue with the new release. I had my 12v battery replaced last week. So...No clue what is going on. Also, the SC said sometimes "Car may not restart" might be due to battery heater, and happens a lot in winter.

If it's just a software update, why don't they just reset it and give me my car back? They've had it for almost a week now and the service center said they had to run a ton of tests including diagnosing harnesses etc. (how do they do that exactly?)

I've just had the same error message, out of the blue. Despite the car still working, and the error message only appearing in Park, Tesla pulled the logs remotely, said that there was a pack problem and organised a flat tow 320km to the service centre. They told me that there was a problem with the main battery pack.
In 4 years and 160,000km, I've had:
new motor (milling noise)
jammed park brake solenoid
jammed rear hatch lock
failed Autopilot sensor
4 failed door handle rockers
'drive unit failure' that was a software bug - car needed a flat tow

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
What did it end up being for you guys? This is an old thread so I assume all of your cars have been fixed by now?
I still get the error on occasion. It happened yesterday morning when I was getting out of my car at work. I checked it at lunch time and it was cleared out. Last time before that was when I went up to CT for Thanksgiving. It happened several times up there while getting into the car, mostly on my dad's uneven dirt driveway. Maybe something got knocked around that tripped a sensor. The error would clear out after waiting a few seconds. Last time before that was when I had a legitimate problem and had my HV battery replaced one year ago

I still get the error on occasion. It happened yesterday morning when I was getting out of my car at work. I checked it at lunch time and it was cleared out. Last time before that was when I went up to CT for Thanksgiving. It happened several times up there while getting into the car, mostly on my dad's uneven dirt driveway. Maybe something got knocked around that tripped a sensor. The error would clear out after waiting a few seconds. Last time before that was when I had a legitimate problem and had my HV battery replaced one year ago
Its a 2015 based on your signature?

I started getting this/these messages a few weeks ago, about once a week. Both "Please wait while system performs a check" and "Car needs service.....Car may not restart" messages. So I scheduled service.

Once I dropped it off, they came back and told me it was the battery heater. A week later I picked it up and the invoice said "Correction: Drive Unit - Rear - Large (Remove & Replace)." Thank the Lord for warranty!

For the record, mines a 2016.5 P90DL with 50k miles.

My wife and started getting this message intermittently over the last 4 months or so. The message would flash on for about 5 seconds then disappear. A couple of weeks ago, the message came on and stayed on. The following startup sent the car into a systems check, followed by a "Top speed and Acceleration reduced," and "Regenerative Braking System Disabled." I our 2013 MS85 at the SC and they checked the logs. They ended up replacing the drive unit, HV contactors, 12V battery, and HVAC drain hose. I'm grateful for the warranty (still have 1 year/11K miles on the vehicle and 21 months left on the DU/battery), and I'm glad Tesla has revised parts instead of replacing flawed parts with newer flawed parts.