Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Dashcam Recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Video! There you have it, she goes into sleep mode and Sentry mode shuts down. Hopefully they will see this video and fix it.

same exact issues we are all having and here we were changing out SSD drives and reformating crap for no reason.

Fred

Yea it's a glitch. Mine is doing this also. I noticed it works when the car is charging. Now I realize it's because when it's not charging the car goes to sleep.

Dashcam is running like sentry mode - turns off when car is on.... Doesn't record.

Sentry mode is running like dash cam - turns on when car is on.... Kinda records. If I sit in the car in park it shows sentry mode on.

It seems to have just happened with the last updates.

Reactions: C141medic
Nothing changed in the way dashcam works. At all.
Not sure about that. I have a Verbatim Mediashare Wireless USB that I’m using for dashcam/sentry and when I switch it to wireless mode which unmounts it from the USB connection there are no files viewable in the recent clips folder. Typically in the past this is where the dashcam clips would’ve been stored and viewable. The only files that are now being stored are sentry events and saved events but no 1 hour dashcam recordings. I’m not so sure that these (dashcam) recordings would magically show up if I tried to view them in my computer versus viewing them from the Verbatim Mediashare.

Not sure about that. I have a Verbatim Mediashare Wireless USB that I’m using for dashcam/sentry and when I switch it to wireless mode which unmounts it from the USB connection there are no files viewable in the recent clips folder. Typically in the past this is where the dashcam clips would’ve been stored and viewable. The only files that are now being stored are sentry events and saved events but no 1 hour dashcam recordings. I’m not so sure that these (dashcam) recordings would magically show up if I tried to view them in my computer versus viewing them from the Verbatim Mediashare.

Since hitting "save" (or sentry going to alert mode) simply moves the already recorded previous 10 minutes- I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it can actually do that if it wasn't already recording for those 10 minutes.

So those files have to exist- otherwise they couldn't be moved off the a non-overwritten folder.

Unless Elon has invented time travel. Which I suppose is technically a non-zero chance of possible.

(That said- I suppose it's also possible the footage is now going someplace other than "recent"...but my point is it has to EXIST to be able to be saved in the first place)

Since hitting "save" (or sentry going to alert mode) simply moves the already recorded previous 10 minutes- I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it can actually do that if it wasn't already recording for those 10 minutes.
Good point.

Unless Elon has invented time travel. Which I suppose is technically a non-zero chance of possible.
I heard that it’s going to be a feature in the next FW update:)

(That said- I suppose it's also possible the footage is now going someplace other than "recent"...but my point is it has to EXIST to be able to be saved in the first place)
Maybe it’s in a new hidden directory?

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
So, just received this from Tesla support today:

“Thank you for contacting Tesla. After reviewing the data from your car, I see that the computers have not rebooted in some time. Similar to a phone or tablet, this can cause features to not behave as they otherwise would. Please perform both of the troubleshooting steps below to reset:

Touchscreen reboot: Shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears. Note: Only restart the touchscreen while the vehicle is stopped and in Park. The car status display, safety warnings, backup camera, etc. will not be visible during the restart.

Power off the car completely: Touch 'Controls' > 'Safety & Security' > 'Power Off' and confirm. Tap the brake pedal to turn the car on, after waiting 2 minutes. Note: Restarting the touchscreen using the scroll buttons does not power the vehicle off and on.

If this does not resolve your concern please reply with, as specifically as possible, with the last date and time this occurred and any additional information that may be related and we will investigate further.

Thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Kind Regards,

Cody R | Tesla Support“

Not sure what support is referring to when he states that the computers haven’t been “rebooted in some time?” I had the HW3 upgrade done back in March and would’ve thought this would’ve rebooted everything? But, I’ll give it a shot and see what happens with the dashcam recordings. I’ll post any updates here once I do the reboots.

The reset doesnt work. This is something that's common to try whenever something stops working. I tried it when it first happened.

Recently my car was stuck on 3g and the reset solved it. Also once my front speakers went out. The reset solved it.

Just completed the 2 minute shutdown as Tesla support suggested. Whadda you know, it worked. It is now recording and/or I’m able to see all recordings in the recent clips folder after I went for a 40 minute drive. My props to Tesla support for this simple fix. I suggest anyone having issues dashcam issues give it a go.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
So, just received this from Tesla support today:

“Thank you for contacting Tesla. After reviewing the data from your car, I see that the computers have not rebooted in some time. Similar to a phone or tablet, this can cause features to not behave as they otherwise would. Please perform both of the troubleshooting steps below to reset:

Touchscreen reboot: Shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears. Note: Only restart the touchscreen while the vehicle is stopped and in Park. The car status display, safety warnings, backup camera, etc. will not be visible during the restart.

Power off the car completely: Touch 'Controls' > 'Safety & Security' > 'Power Off' and confirm. Tap the brake pedal to turn the car on, after waiting 2 minutes. Note: Restarting the touchscreen using the scroll buttons does not power the vehicle off and on.

If this does not resolve your concern please reply with, as specifically as possible, with the last date and time this occurred and any additional information that may be related and we will investigate further.

Thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Kind Regards,

Cody R | Tesla Support“

Not sure what support is referring to when he states that the computers haven’t been “rebooted in some time?” I had the HW3 upgrade done back in March and would’ve thought this would’ve rebooted everything? But, I’ll give it a shot and see what happens with the dashcam recordings. I’ll post any updates here once I do the reboots.

Rebooted the computer after each firmware, So it’s been 3 firmwares since, still don’t work, submitted a service ticket for June 4th:

Fred

Just completed the 2 minute shutdown as Tesla support suggested. Whadda you know, it worked. It is now recording and/or I’m able to see all recordings in the recent clips folder after I went for a 40 minute drive. My props to Tesla support for this simple fix. I suggest anyone having issues dashcam issues give it a go.

Did not work for me. I just tried the reboot and two minute power off. The camera is still the same. It only writes to the usb when there is a manual save performed (either honk or using the menu). I had hoped that 2020.16.2 was going to be the fix, but it seems that the problems continue!

Did not work for me. I just tried the reboot and two minute power off. The camera is still the same. It only writes to the usb when there is a manual save performed (either honk or using the menu). I had hoped that 2020.16.2 was going to be the fix, but it seems that the problems continue!
Same for me, it didn’t work, sentry mode is still not working
I can hear the HV contactors coming on when I pull drivers door handle when approaching the car without cellphone
Tap key card to unlock appears on screen.

The car is going into deep sleep and turning off the HV contactors. I think this is happening not long after leaving the car,which disables sentry mode

Fingers X’d for a fix in 2020.20.1 which seems to have started rolling out now

New M3 owner this past month and new to the forums. Searched and found different issues with dashcam but nothing helped so far.

The dashcam recording red light is on, no warning or error messages. It randomly seems to decide when it will record or not. This AM I took a drive, and when I got home reviewed the video. It decided to start recording about 4 miles into my drive. I stopped at two different places. It recorded through those, then at the last stop, it decided to stop recording. Again, no errors or warnings. Previous trips it didn't record anything, even though the red recording light displays.

I've reformatted the thumb drive(samsung 128gb) and I've rebooted the display, neither seems to give constant recording.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I am glad I am not the only one with this issue i have just taken out Samsung 500 gb and reformatted will try tomorrow