Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random "Factory Reset" on My Raven S (2020.48.35.5)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my June 2019 Raven Model S running version 2020.48.35.5 seemingly factory reset itself on me today, not something I've heard anyone else mention happen. I had gone for a few short drives this morning, running some errands, then parked the car around 1:05 pm (unplugged at 48% SoC). Everything seemed completely normal. At 5:15 pm I attempted to preheat the car to head out again but couldn't access it from the app and it wouldn't wake up - in an area it has adequate cell and wifi signal. When I went down to the car 10 minutes later all of the settings, driver profiles, stats/trips, nav favorites, bluetooth devices, and homelink devices have been cleared. Just as it was when I took delivery of it new.

I restarted the car from the steering wheel, assuming it would be fruitless but I was grasping, to no avail. I then powered off the car for a few minutes with no further success. When I took it for a drive at 5:50 pm, autopilot didn't need to recalibrate and was immediately available so that appears to be stored outside of the standard settings database.

The only things I did today, out of the ordinary for me, was to open the YouTube app and Web Browser for the first time in six months but didn't watch anything or navigate anywhere other than to plex's homepage. I then launched and played Polytopia for the first time and played it for about 35 minutes (it's quite fun). Other than those, I didn't do or try anything beyond navigating a few places and driving to them today. When I had parked the car before the reset, I only pressed the park button on the stock and I hadn't touched the screen or opened the settings menu so couldn't possibly have inadvertently pressed the four or five needed buttons to initiate a reset myself.

The last update I installed was on January 22nd and there were no prompts for any today. I suspect something caused the configuration database to become corrupt today and it to force reset but that's only a guess. After this happened, while I was driving home this evening, my speed limit signs on the dash overlap when I hit my speed warning level (picture attached). I also briefly saw an icon I'd never seen before. It was a solid white circle, the same size as the cruse control speed with a large number 20 in it and a second small circle at the bottom of it with an exclamation mark. It was positioned to the right of the speed limit sign. I believe I set my speed limit warning settings the same I had them previously and this only showed briefly one time but not long enough for me to get a picture. I also scrolled through the manual just now and didn't see any similar icon documented.

I've scheduled a service visit with the hope they can figure out why or at least note it as a incident. It's for the 11th so it will be a few days before I have anything to share on that front. I thought it was an odd occurrence and worth sharing.

Attachments

• 20210206_200952.jpg
    20210206_200952.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 227
I had my June 2019 Raven Model S running version 2020.48.35.5 seemingly factory reset itself on me today, not something I've heard anyone else mention happen. I had gone for a few short drives this morning, running some errands, then parked the car around 1:05 pm (unplugged at 48% SoC). Everything seemed completely normal. At 5:15 pm I attempted to preheat the car to head out again but couldn't access it from the app and it wouldn't wake up - in an area it has adequate cell and wifi signal. When I went down to the car 10 minutes later all of the settings, driver profiles, stats/trips, nav favorites, bluetooth devices, and homelink devices have been cleared. Just as it was when I took delivery of it new.

I restarted the car from the steering wheel, assuming it would be fruitless but I was grasping, to no avail. I then powered off the car for a few minutes with no further success. When I took it for a drive at 5:50 pm, autopilot didn't need to recalibrate and was immediately available so that appears to be stored outside of the standard settings database.

The only things I did today, out of the ordinary for me, was to open the YouTube app and Web Browser for the first time in six months but didn't watch anything or navigate anywhere other than to plex's homepage. I then launched and played Polytopia for the first time and played it for about 35 minutes (it's quite fun). Other than those, I didn't do or try anything beyond navigating a few places and driving to them today. When I had parked the car before the reset, I only pressed the park button on the stock and I hadn't touched the screen or opened the settings menu so couldn't possibly have inadvertently pressed the four or five needed buttons to initiate a reset myself.

The last update I installed was on January 22nd and there were no prompts for any today. I suspect something caused the configuration database to become corrupt today and it to force reset but that's only a guess. After this happened, while I was driving home this evening, my speed limit signs on the dash overlap when I hit my speed warning level (picture attached). I also briefly saw an icon I'd never seen before. It was a solid white circle, the same size as the cruse control speed with a large number 20 in it and a second small circle at the bottom of it with an exclamation mark. It was positioned to the right of the speed limit sign. I believe I set my speed limit warning settings the same I had them previously and this only showed briefly one time but not long enough for me to get a picture. I also scrolled through the manual just now and didn't see any similar icon documented.

I've scheduled a service visit with the hope they can figure out why or at least note it as a incident. It's for the 11th so it will be a few days before I have anything to share on that front. I thought it was an odd occurrence and worth sharing.
Exact same thing happend on my Model X raven. Suddenly got rest and lost all profile settings, home link and bluetooth. Also on maps it got stuck at tesla HQ. Drove a little bit gps started working again but still not able to get back old data tried all sorts of restarts including poweroff.

well....we've had several update with the same notes....we have no way of knowing what the software change was......we've gone from 2020.48.5 to .8 to.9 and now .37....WTF.....crazy things are happening.....after .5, my car would not go to sleep for 30 hrs.....have no idea what we have now expect for the revision number which means nothing without notes stating what was changed, added or deleted....its nuts

This happened to me today, too. 2019 (September) Raven Model S running 2020.48.35.5. A bunch of us had this happen, it looks like. The Tesla service rep on the phone was surprised because he saw the factory reset. He asked if there was some sort of power spike at my house; there was none that I knew of.

Having to remember all my settings is a pain. What's worse is the remote for my garage isn't working, so I can't restore the Homelink. First world problems, I know.

PS: I was supposed to pick up my daughter from the hospital when this happened. So it was more than a slight inconvenience.

Last edited:
car seems strange now. Doesn’t seem to wake up quickly when I enter and sentry mode seems sluggish when locked

Something seems strange to me, too, about the car after its spontaneous amnesia. For example, regen braking doesn't seem as strong, though the setting is the same. Maybe it's psychological: since I spent so much time with my previous Model S settings, and though I thought I put all the settings back to what they were, this new setting configuration seems just slightly unfamiliar to me

(Speculation) Tesla might have been intending to factory reset MCU1 cars to clean things up to further delay eMMC failures... and screwed the pooch (again) by including some MCU2s in the process by mistake?

Might be time to turn garages into Faraday cages.

I guess I have to join this club (2020 MS LR+). Today, my car couldn't decide whether it was in California or Europe (BTW, it's in Georgia--and, not the eastern European one):

Last drove the car Monday morning, all was normal. Went out to the garage today, and the first thing I noticed amiss was the door handles auto-extended. When I got in, it was obvious something was going on, since the dashboard displays had changed. I had a software update notice (but I had not authorized any updates). After a little poking around, it became obvious that all of my settings had been reset:
  • Driver profiles gone (seats, etc., in the same position as last used)
  • BlueTooth profiles gone (phone connectivity)
  • Wifi profiles gone
  • Navigation favorites gone
  • HomeLink settings gone
  • Trips all reset to 0 (odometer normal)
  • Energy usage zeroed out
  • Many settings changed (presumably to default values--I really don't know what's default and what isn't, so I cannot 100% say so)
  • Auto-suspension locations gone
  • Radio favorites gone (I found the radio tuned to the last setting, but not "saved" in any sense--strangely, it wouldn't tell me what it was tuned to, I could only verify by selecting a station)
  • Probably others that I haven't noticed or am forgetting
Interestingly, my streaming music settings / favorites seem unaffected.

After a bit more poking around, I noticed:
  • Clock was on Pacific time (-3 hours from local time)
  • Map was showing satellite view, centered on Tesla Headquarters
  • Map refused any inputs; kept telling me I needed to download a nav database over wifi
  • All settings related to FSD were missing or disabled, saying my "region" didn't allow it
  • Speed limit signs showed up Euro-style, both for the current limit (see pic) and for those I drove past on the road
I assume the Euro-style signage corresponds to the "not authorized in your region" bit about FSD.

Multiple resets did nothing. When I got the car out of the garage, it rather quickly found the right time & location, so I assume that was a GPS signal issue (I'd always assumed time was based on cell signal, maybe not??). The compass was a bit wonky until I'd driven a couple of turns, but then it settled down to normal orientation. After a few drives (maybe an hour elapsed), I did another reset. This time, the car "woke up" in the correct place, with normal signage & access to the FSD controls. So far as I can tell, all of my saved values (driver profiles, trip/energy history, etc.) are gone, gone, gone.... Shortly after connecting to my wifi (newly re-set up, since it had nuked the login info), it began downloading a nav database--that was still in progress last I looked.

A few pics I took are attached. Note the Euro-style signs & the totally flat energy usage graph on the dash pic.... Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
I guess I have to join this club (2020 MS LR+). Today, my car couldn't decide whether it was in California or Europe (BTW, it's in Georgia--and, not the eastern European one):

Last drove the car Monday morning, all was normal. Went out to the garage today, and the first thing I noticed amiss was the door handles auto-extended. When I got in, it was obvious something was going on, since the dashboard displays had changed. I had a software update notice (but I had not authorized any updates). After a little poking around, it became obvious that all of my settings had been reset:
  • Driver profiles gone (seats, etc., in the same position as last used)
  • BlueTooth profiles gone (phone connectivity)
  • Wifi profiles gone
  • Navigation favorites gone
  • HomeLink settings gone
  • Trips all reset to 0 (odometer normal)
  • Energy usage zeroed out
  • Many settings changed (presumably to default values--I really don't know what's default and what isn't, so I cannot 100% say so)
  • Auto-suspension locations gone
  • Radio favorites gone (I found the radio tuned to the last setting, but not "saved" in any sense--strangely, it wouldn't tell me what it was tuned to, I could only verify by selecting a station)
  • Probably others that I haven't noticed or am forgetting
Interestingly, my streaming music settings / favorites seem unaffected.

After a bit more poking around, I noticed:
  • Clock was on Pacific time (-3 hours from local time)
  • Map was showing satellite view, centered on Tesla Headquarters
  • Map refused any inputs; kept telling me I needed to download a nav database over wifi
  • All settings related to FSD were missing or disabled, saying my "region" didn't allow it
  • Speed limit signs showed up Euro-style, both for the current limit (see pic) and for those I drove past on the road
I assume the Euro-style signage corresponds to the "not authorized in your region" bit about FSD.

Multiple resets did nothing. When I got the car out of the garage, it rather quickly found the right time & location, so I assume that was a GPS signal issue (I'd always assumed time was based on cell signal, maybe not??). The compass was a bit wonky until I'd driven a couple of turns, but then it settled down to normal orientation. After a few drives (maybe an hour elapsed), I did another reset. This time, the car "woke up" in the correct place, with normal signage & access to the FSD controls. So far as I can tell, all of my saved values (driver profiles, trip/energy history, etc.) are gone, gone, gone.... Shortly after connecting to my wifi (newly re-set up, since it had nuked the login info), it began downloading a nav database--that was still in progress last I looked.

A few pics I took are attached. Note the Euro-style signs & the totally flat energy usage graph on the dash pic.... Ugh.
Excellent and thorough summary. However, I am jealous. I missed out on the euro style signs. But I will trade you for my main display, which was entirely gray except for the navigation button in the top left corner. Also my 4G connection was at zero bars. I drove for 10 miles and nothing recovered. So I did a hard reboot and found myself at Tesla headquarters in California.

I received the following in an email response from Tesla support today:

We have reviewed your recent concern regarding your vehicle losing some data and settings such as the Driver Profile settings and wanted to follow up with you. Upon review we do see your vehicle recovered from an error which should not occur again. If you encounter any issues reconfiguring the settings you prefer or if you see this behavior again feel free to let us know in a reply to this email.

• Funny
Reactions: KalJoMoS
I wonder if there was a bad nav data or software update version file pushed out. Those are the only significant items I'm aware of the car downloading in the background.

Although they do have remote access to cars and the ability to mass update segments of the fleet so it's possible someone fat-fingered the wrong set of VINs.

I've got 48.35.5, 2020 Model S and no real issues until today. Would you believe, on a rally! - the screen map went faded grey, froze and the car icon disappeared. We drove on for a while with no nav at all, stopped and rebooted: it all came back then ten minutes later the same thing except that the greyed-out map showed somewhere nowhere near us - car icon still not there. Another reboot and OK.
The nav screen now appears to be stuck as default on a small scale: I can bring it to a better large scale by multiple commands "Increase map scale" but after a few minutes it goes back to a map which has a whole city!
It's often said that Tesla is a computer company making cars - I wish they'd stick with the car bit, because their software is appalling!

If people are concerned about updates, maybe just don’t install it right away and let others (who do enjoy the updates) try them out first. Tesla should have better testing though.

I have 2020.48.37 and so far okay.