Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random "Factory Reset" on My Raven S (2020.48.35.5)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow-up to my issue:

Two days later, all seems to be normal with the car (albeit all my previously saved settings are gone). When the issue occurred, I made a service appointment--the app decided I needed a SC visit, not a Ranger. First appointment, two weeks out, so I haven't been in a rush to cancel it, in case I have further issues.

Last night, I get the appointment acknowledgement, along with the estimated invoice.... for 1/2 hour "diagnostic charge." Uh, my car's under warranty. Even "if" this is more than a one-off software burp, why on earth would I expect to pay to have it addressed...??

Tesla. Love the car. The company...?? :rolleyes:

Follow-up to my issue:

Two days later, all seems to be normal with the car (albeit all my previously saved settings are gone). When the issue occurred, I made a service appointment--the app decided I needed a SC visit, not a Ranger. First appointment, two weeks out, so I haven't been in a rush to cancel it, in case I have further issues.

Last night, I get the appointment acknowledgement, along with the estimated invoice.... for 1/2 hour "diagnostic charge." Uh, my car's under warranty. Even "if" this is more than a one-off software burp, why on earth would I expect to pay to have it addressed...??

Tesla. Love the car. The company...?? :rolleyes:

If a problem is found, the charge is waived. Confirm with SC.

I received the following in an email response from Tesla support today:

We have reviewed your recent concern regarding your vehicle losing some data and settings such as the Driver Profile settings and wanted to follow up with you. Upon review we do see your vehicle recovered from an error which should not occur again. If you encounter any issues reconfiguring the settings you prefer or if you see this behavior again feel free to let us know in a reply to this email.

Do you have an honest-to-God email address to discuss with Tesla Support? I only know of the app--sometimes it gets a response, sometimes not. In any case, I've pinged them to see if I can get any more info....

The Tesla service rep on the phone was surprised because he saw the factory reset.

How on earth did you get a Tesla service rep on the phone???

I'd be interested to know what he saw ref the factory reset. So far, I've been assuming that's what happened. I've asked (via the text app) for confirmation that it was a factory reset (it sure looks like it, of course), but it sounds like you had direct confirmation....

Heard back from the SC ref the appointment I'd made:
Service Center said:
Hi, the CAN system on these cars can get confused at times. If one control module decides not to communicate the car thinks something is wrong and weird issues arise. I am going to recommend us trying a 12v (hard) reset. We can send a mobile tech to try that if you like?

Not quite sure what to make of that, I'm hoping someone reading with a better understanding can comment. @ValleyGeek , I'm still very interested to hear anything you learn in your (rescheduled) appointment....

I'm unlikely to bring the car in, so long as everything keeps working. As I told them in the appointment, I'm more interested in why this happened, and (more to the point) if I need to worry about it happening again. The SC is a 2+ hour round-trip for me, so it's hardly convenient. The mobile service for a 12V reset in my driveway...? On the one hand, everything seems happy for now; on the other, I've yet to meet the computer that doesn't benefit from a deep reboot every once in a while.... :D

In early January I had the HUD freeze. When I reset it, it factory reset the way you describe. But instead of booting up with USA software (where I live) it booted up with European software, displaying the wrong speed limit signs, and with the wrong maps package,and navigate on autopilot not available in my "region". I had to convince Tesla to push another update to get the car thinking it was in the right place again.

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
Experienced this last night with my '17 MX P100D MCU2. Center screen locked up on short errand trip. Once home, double scroll for the reboot, once rebooted looked like a factory reset, car stuck in Palo Alto, and no nav data.

Just checked after 12 hours of it sitting connected to wifi, still no nav data, no way to initiate. This was at random, no software update or anything, was and still am on 48.35.5.

Have mobile service scheduled for the 17th. With the amount of posts here, this seems to be like a decent % of the fleet to have this happen to.

Do you have an honest-to-God email address to discuss with Tesla Support? I only know of the app--sometimes it gets a response, sometimes not. In any case, I've pinged them to see if I can get any more info....
I don't have an email address. The one they used for me is 'not monitored'. They emailed me after my call to them produced what seemed to be startled confusion, and they promised to get back to me. At first, they thought my problem was a one-off, but when I told them I had seen posts here that suggested a more widespread and current issue, they seemed to take it more seriously.

2020 Model S experienced same problem, car reset to factory settings and for a half day thought it was in Palo Alto, CA not home. GPS restored NAV, but lost everything else. Spoke with Tesla Support today who confirmed this is a known "BUG" and Tesla Developers are analyzing to try and determine root cause. Meanwhile, there is no resolution other than reprogram everything. SUCKS

My issue has been declared resolved.

As I posted earlier, after roughly 24 hours, everything seemed back to normal (albeit all of my settings were already long gone). I started to make a mobile appointment; that promptly got switched to a SC appointment. I followed up with them, at which point they proposed a mobile visit to do a 12V reset. Then that appointment got changed back to a SC visit....

The last swap to a SC visit was based on the tech's input that my nav data was "not mounted properly." I kept asking questions until the guy who answers the texts was forced to actually talk to the tech: was he basing the "not mounted" opinion on my description, or on something he was seeing on a remote diagnostic? In short, so far as I could tell, all was back to normal; was he seeing something different??

The tech confirmed (and then actually followed up with me on the phone!!!!!!!) that all was now well, to include a properly mounted nav database. His speculation is that "something" in the firmware update caused a hitch that the computer interpreted as corruption--and went into "restore" mode, which (essentially) causes a factory reset.

Appointment cancelled. Fingers crossed. Still interested in hearing what others may learn on this....

Had a tech re-push firmware update / nav data to my MX17P100D. Car still thinks it is in Palo Alto but atleast now it states that it has Nav data. I've been unable to drive it due to the storms in the south. Hoping after a few miles under the open sky it will realize it's in Austin, then all will be solved. BUT is it really?

When I dropped my car off this morning I was informed that the "issue is due to a known bug with the firmware and there aren't any followup corrections but the error report and diagnostic data I supplied was helpful to them" so it still seems worthwhile. I'm having a couple other, unrelated items being taken care of too so that's likely the only reason they didn't cancel my appointment.

I'm not certain it's related, but it started at the same time, the car hasn't been responding to phone app commands for unlocking, opening frunk/trunk, or keyless driving. Chargeport and climate controls still work though. I didn't put any effort into rebooting or clearing the app cache to try and correct this though.

I'll followup when I get the car back with what they note on the service paperwork about the reset. Sounds like they might keep the car over the weekend to work on my other items.

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
Here's the final statement from the service center:
Tesla Service Followup.png

Basically "we know about it and if it happens again reset your settings again until a fix is available"

I did get a software update shortly after arriving home and the car is now on 2021.4.6. Hopefully it's less aggressive about resetting due to faulty navigation data - assuming that's the trigger as others have been informed.

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135 and SO16
I'm not certain it's related, but it started at the same time, the car hasn't been responding to phone app commands for unlocking, opening frunk/trunk, or keyless driving. Chargeport and climate controls still work though. I didn't put any effort into rebooting or clearing the app cache to try and correct this though.

In case you didn't get this piece of the puzzle resolved:

Separate from the "nav reset" is a "security key reset" that gets the phone app working properly again. See this thread: "Controls" menu from app partially inop

Reactions: cwanja
Pretty upsetting that this is still a bug out there. I think I even saw and replied to some posts in another thread in the recent months regarding this. I got hit by this bug in January of this year with my Raven LR Model S and engineering at the time was "surprised, but aware". They had no clue what triggered it, but just it is a bug they were trying to address.

Hopefully in the 2021 branches, it is resolved.