Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random frunk/froot/bonnet opening = alarm going off = lessons learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, we were just heading to bed when the M3's alarm went off suddenly. Glancing at the app, it was clear that the bonnet had popped open of its own volition, and obviously releasing that catch is enough to trigger the alarm. I went out, closed the bonnet, thought, 'That's odd, hope it doesn't do it again', and went back inside.

It happened again this afternoon, so I went to retrieve the M3 from my wife's work. I wondered if the mechanical latch was failing or if something weird and warm-for-the time-of-year was going on. And naturally I was considering logging a fault on the app.

Before doing that, I thought I'd better take a look under the frunk/froot/bonnet. And to my horror I found it absolutely swimming in screenwash! (We keep the screenwash bottle there as it saves having to go into the boot (what feels like) every five minutes.) The heat must have caused the (5 litre!) plastic bottle to leak, filling about half of the frunk area - it was like looking down at a small blue swimming pool. I set about soaking up the mess, as you can imagine, PDQ.

So it occurs to me that the screenwash must have triggered the internal illuminated switch, which of course released the latch. (Thank goodness no more damage was done. The electrics are fine and the emergency switch still works.) And it occurs to me that I'm not going to keep the screenwash in the frunk/froot again, no matter how 'wipe dry' and tempting it seems.

I share this so that others may learn from my idiocy.

Guess it depends on driving type, speed and distance. I’ve done 5k Miles in 4 months and spent 4 weeks overseas. Mainly motorway driving and at this time of year, grit salt etc uses washer fluid quite a lot. A quick top up when I’m charging keeps me good to go. As summer is Upon us, it will likely move back to the garage until next winter.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
Guess it depends on driving type, speed and distance. I’ve done 5k Miles in 4 months and spent 4 weeks overseas. Mainly motorway driving and at this time of year, grit salt etc uses washer fluid quite a lot. A quick top up when I’m charging keeps me good to go. As summer is Upon us, it will likely move back to the garage until next winter.
Mind you, warmer weather means even more flies on the windscreen...

(Glad I'm not the only one that often tops up while supercharging. Shame I didn't earlier in the week or it might have saved me a bit of aggro down the line!)