Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the difference between "signature" and "founder"... I was thinking they were the same, but I seem to be off on that. Did founders go to specific people or a certain number of first orders, or specific people who got the first orders? What was different about the founder cars that wasn't in signatures or was it just the badge on the car?

Posting other peoples VIN's is not cool.

what's wrong with posting someone else's VIN number? it's not like a name and address is being attached along side it. I mean honestly, VIN numbers are accrued in sequentially anyway. Anybody can take their VIN number and start counting down or up and likely have another valid VIN number too (with slight possible variances)

what's wrong with posting someone else's VIN number? it's not like a name and address is being attached along side it. I mean honestly, VIN numbers are accrued in sequentially anyway. Anybody can take their VIN number and start counting down or up and likely have another valid VIN number too (with slight possible variances)

Agree. Not to mention .... it's in public view when out and about ... same theory with license plates. I think folks are way too uptight especially considering what our own government does.

What's the difference between "signature" and "founder"... I was thinking they were the same, but I seem to be off on that. Did founders go to specific people or a certain number of first orders, or specific people who got the first orders? What was different about the founder cars that wasn't in signatures or was it just the badge on the car?

Yes, the Founder cars - similar in build and options to the Signatures that followed - were delivered to:

- Steve Jurvetson (of Draper, Fisher, Jurvetson, a VC firm that invested in Tesla and SpaceX)

- Elon Musk

- the Rive brothers (Elon's cousins and founders of SolarCity)

- Kimbal Musk (Elon's brother)

...and others with the tally ranging from 16 to 32 by various estimates.

They were different primarily with that lettering although Jurvetson had a one of a kind P85 badge (with a byline "Phase Current Amplification") and Elon's Founder #2 was the first car with some early P85+ mods.

Yes, the Founder cars - similar in build and options to the Signatures that followed - were delivered to:

- Steve Jurvetson (of Draper, Fisher, Jurvetson, a VC firm that invested in Tesla and SpaceX)

- Elon Musk

- the Rive brothers (Elon's cousins and founders of SolarCity)

- Kimbal Musk (Elon's brother)

...and others with the tally ranging from 16 to 32 by various estimates.

They were different primarily with that lettering although Jurvetson had a one of a kind P85 badge (with a byline "Phase Current Amplification") and Elon's Founder #2 was the first car with some early P85+ mods.

Ok, thank you for that. Seemed like Google/Wikipedia wasn't really helping me with this. So I am glad you explained it for me :)

- - - Updated - - -

It may be public view, but with a license plate, I don't know about vin, I can search DMV records to find out your address, name, etc. I don't want someone posting mine.

posting the VIN or the plates does not in and of itself constitute a breach of privacy (since this information is in plain view when looking at the car), looking up that data in a database without a valid reason does. Since that would then violate your 4th amendment and the courts have generally favored this line of thinking (meaning cops can't just sit on the side of the road hand-jamming random people's plates into their system "phishing" for someone who might be suspicious so they can go after them. Have to have a reason to search the database first... ie. a crime or law being broken)

The VIN on the other hand... I mean, anyone could get your data for that (if they were so inclined) and look up the car in a Carfax type report and find out what has happened to it in the past. I don't think there is anything special or restrictive tied to this, since it does not link personal information to the events that happened in the car. Just mentions different things you have had in for service and such. To my knowledge you would need to go to the DMV (government system - 4th amendment applies) to retrieve that data.

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer or any such thing.

I don't have a problem with this. Anywhere I go this is out for public viewing.

When I go out in public with my 5 year old daughter, she is in the public view. However, I would not want someone to post pictures of her on the internet without my permission. Please respect that people have different feelings about privacy when it comes to there kids, their address, their VIN, their license plate, etc.

When I go out in public with my 5 year old daughter, she is in the public view. However, I would not want someone to post pictures of her on the internet without my permission. Please respect that people have different feelings about privacy when it comes to there kids, their address, their VIN, their license plate, etc.

a VIN number is not the same thing as posting your daughter's picture online. to equate the two is absurd.

Got to meet "NOMOGAS" today at the Delaware Supercharger. Thanks for chatting with me today and pushing me towards powder coating my 19" Cyclones! Hope you had a good trip back North!

Ha, you mean GASNOMO :) "NoMoGas" was already taken in NY...great meeting you too...hope you get power back sooner than PECO indicated. Amazing there was ZERO traffic on the NJ Turnpike and the George Washington Bridge...total ghost town...amazing.