TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Random observations from the Menlo Park service center

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sffrog, Jan 26, 2013.

1. sffrog

sffrog New Member

Visited the Menlo Park showroom yesterday. They have a large servicing area at the back, which is some kind of central servicing and research center. I had a chat with the service people and here are a few takeaways:
    - addressing my enquiry about the number of cars undergoing service (implying reliability issues, which is what I was trying to fish out), the service person (more like an R&D guy as it turned out) said that there were very little mechanical issues with the cars. The occasional fogged headlights, little things like this. No pattern of return for a known mechanical issue;
    - most issues are software-related apparently, and are most often fixed over the phone by a soft reset. Most cars in the service areas basically had a software issue not immediately fixable by a reset, and current software was being uploaded;
    - interestingly, a couple of cars were being prepped to be Google self-driving cars (which until now I have seen to be Lexus SUV hybrids). I would not be surprised if Tesla and Google were collaborating at several levels; no proof, just an interesting data point.

That's all I got folks!

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Good to hear, but there seems to be a disproportionate number of people having door handles replaced if this forum is any indication...