Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Power Drain Following Smart Meter Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am running solar panels and a single Tesla power wall 2 and have moved on to the Octopus Tesla Energy Plan.

As such they installed a new smart meter, so that they can monitor input and export energy (although I am still waiting for the export to be authorised).

Yesterday, I was running 100% on solar and battery power over the 24 hour period with no grid usage, however my smart meter is reading a 1.08 kwh use?

Is this likely to be a power drain from the smart meter (I assume it is powered directly from the grid and not my other power sources) and does 1Kw per day seem right for a smart meter?

I realise that this is a small drain in the grand scheme of things, however is still adds up over the course of a year and I just want to make sure everything is wired up correctly.

It is just bugging me where this extra 1kw + is going to, as it was never an issue when I had an analogue meter (it never moved when using solar / battery power).

Thanks.

So I am running solar panels and a single Tesla power wall 2 and have moved on to the Octopus Tesla Energy Plan.

As such they installed a new smart meter, so that they can monitor input and export energy (although I am still waiting for the export to be authorised).

Yesterday, I was running 100% on solar and battery power over the 24 hour period with no grid usage, however my smart meter is reading a 1.08 kwh use?

Is this likely to be a power drain from the smart meter (I assume it is powered directly from the grid and not my other power sources) and does 1Kw per day seem right for a smart meter?

I realise that this is a small drain in the grand scheme of things, however is still adds up over the course of a year and I just want to make sure everything is wired up correctly.

It is just bugging me where this extra 1kw + is going to, as it was never an issue when I had an analogue meter (it never moved when using solar / battery power).

Thanks.

See if either of these threads apply to your situation:

My home with Solar Roof is also operating in self-consumption (non-export) mode since I don't have PTO yet. That means the Powerwalls will attempt to consume any solar in excess of the load and discharge as needed when the load exceeds the solar. But I observe small amounts of power going to and from the grid every day. I expect some of that to happen because as the solar power and the home load vary the adjustment of the Powerwalls may not be fast enough on a fine timescale.

I can provide a graph that illustrates the small amounts of power going to and from the grid (labeled "site" on this graph). The scenario is that I am charging my Tesla Roadster to use up the solar power that would otherwise go to waste. The Roadster tapers its charge rate after reaching a certain fill percentage, but as it does so it makes frequent adjustments to the current it draws as reflected in the jagged blue "load" line. The Powerwalls, shown by the green line, try to compensate. But the white "site" line shows that the adjustment is not fast enough. If the Powerwall reaction time were shorter then oscillation would likely occur.

taper.png