Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random ppl scoping out your car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got a VERY enthusiastic thumbs up from a driver in Porsche Panamera Turbo today. Have had 5-6 instances like this in the last two months.

Last week I was on the expressway and saw what appeared to be a blue 3 about 5 car lengths in front of me. Since I hadn’t seen a blue yet, and that is my configuration (10 more days till delivery...) I sped up to get a good look. Drove next to the car for a few seconds safely gawking, the lady driving it looked over at me, so a gave a big excited thumbs up. I think she thought I flipped her off or just wanted to show off, because she promptly left me in her dust.

I've had people taking pictures in parking lots of the car.
I had one pedestrian do a double take at the car as I was stopped waiting for them to walk through the crosswalk. Their jaw dropped and they mouthed oh wow.
Another person passed me on the interstate with their phone extended taking a video of me driving.
There are not a lot of Teslas around where I live so I think most people have no idea what it is. Another Model 3 owner pulled up next to my wife while driving our Leaf and the Model 3 owner waived frantically just happy to see another EV. Too bad my wife wasn't driving the 3 or the other 3 owner might have lost it.

Happens with my model S... some 20-something guy pulled along beside me at a red light and make the motion to roll down my window. He then asked me if that is the car that drives itself? Since you can't tell from the outside, I said YUP! (it doesn't, ain't I a stinker). I've also had the police follow me into a parking lot just to have a look at it.

Reactions: Xenius and Arpe
Happens with my model S... some 20-something guy pulled along beside me at a red light and make the motion to roll down my window. He then asked me if that is the car that drives itself? Since you can't tell from the outside, I said YUP! (it doesn't, ain't I a stinker). I've also had the police follow me into a parking lot just to have a look at it.
Lol I had a police officer give me the thumbs up in a parking lot

Reactions: Pkmmte and ai4px
the best story I have was at the car wash I use, they are very good to my car, when they were done, I can tell they didn't know they started the car, couldn't hear it, they walk into the waiting area, with my fob, and ask, OK who's driving the space ship, first Tesla they have washed. I drive 2017 MS 75, when I go there now, they fight over who washes my Tesla. I even once used Summon, they were in shock. Had it a year now, and I get lots of looks and ah's, love it.

Haven't noticed anyone checking out the car in CA. There are so many Tesla's, even 3s are rapidly increasing in numbers that nobody bats an eye. I think my X is still getting more attention then the 3. But I do feel people view the 3 as the poor man's Tesla and this $35k price Elon promised is what people perceive the car as, even though we all know here it's basically a $60k car right now with EAP and taxes. In CA this is becoming more like a premium Prius, will be everywhere and this is a good thing because that will mean electric cars will be the new norm.

In Montana I still get people asking what kind of car my Model S is, so the 3 will probably be getting looks until 2020.

I got caught checking out a beautiful pearl white 3 the other day. Luckily my MS was just a couple cars down so she didn't think I was a complete weirdo. It was the first 3 I had seen in town so I was pretty excited.

I heard there is a 3 doing Uber rides in town. I keep hoping to get lucky when I need a ride. :)

I'd expect to have to deal with that at least until 2019.
For the last week I've seen at least 1 model 3 every day within 5 minutes of leaving my house. They are practically Honda Civics now, at least in my area.
Have a few highlights to share with this thread! Although, a lowlight was a discussion with an enthusiastic person, right up until I told him the cost. Could see his heart break :(

At dinner last weekend, sitting on the patio, some kids/teenagers (3) parked and were visually stoked to see the car in person. The lead was very demonstrative in explaining to his friends what it was. Just to mess with them, I flashed the lights. Also honked the horn at a woman that hit the car with her huge purse (another lowlight) ><

Had one guy come to a complete stop on a highway to visibly gawk at the car. I was in the stopped lane; he had about 2-300 yards of open road. That was funny, but ultimately very unsafe.

Had a conversation in the middle of rush hour traffic one day with a reservation holder. That was probably the best highlight.
Yeah enjoy it while it last. 11 years ago when I took delivery of my BMW 335i there were barely any of them on the road yet. I still to this day remember a grown man in a pick up truck pulling up next to me (also a grown man) at a red light, during evening rush hour, and yelling "wow damn sexy!" at my car (or me, not sure). 2 years later and 335i's were as if issued by the county as a public service.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
I've had 2 reservation holders come up and talk to me about the car, they were both waiting on their invites.

I fairly often got looks, pictures, interactions, thumbs up, etc. in the Model S, but this car has no draw whatsoever. Other than reservation holders, no one in this town knows what this car is, and doesn't give it a second look.