Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random question for you all with 60A SquareD Disconnects (eg DU222RB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
So I'm in the world's most boring meeting and need to kill 5 minutes.

Do the people who have the 60A disconnects have problems with neighbors and randos who like to walk up and open the damn disconnect cover while the disconnect is in the closed position?

Like why would Square D make this thing so easy to peer inside? It's like people see an array of these stupid POS's on my wall and they become braindead wanting to peer inside. I don't understand why. I've had to padlock all 3 of mine closed to keep people from opening the cover. So now I end up with people telling me padlocking the front closed is against code, and I have to explain to them the padlock on the bottom doesn't affect the operation of the lever to open the circuit.

Pics for anyone who is curious what is inside:

1630519109906.png

1630519136576.png

So I'm in the world's most boring meeting and need to kill 5 minutes.

Do the people who have the 60A disconnects have problems with neighbors and randos who like to walk up and open the damn disconnect cover while the disconnect is in the closed position?

Like why would Square D make this thing so easy to peer inside? It's like people see an array of these stupid POS's on my wall and they become braindead wanting to peer inside. I don't understand why. I've had to padlock all 3 of mine closed to keep people from opening the cover. So now I end up with people telling me padlocking the front closed is against code, and I have to explain to them the padlock on the bottom doesn't affect the operation of the lever to open the circuit.

Pics for anyone who is curious what is inside:

View attachment 704063

View attachment 704065

These are probably PGE employees who have been sent to your property to review "This is how we make a homeowner do it RIGHT!" by PGE.... you know, since you are on their "mess with" list and all, lol. Im only partially kidding, lmao.

I havent had anyone try to open anything on the side of my house. I have a camera mounted up where I could see if if there was motion there, and havent gotten anything.

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
These are probably PGE employees who have been sent to your property to review "This is how we make a homeowner do it RIGHT!" by PGE.... you know, since you are on their "mess with" list and all, lol. Im only partially kidding, lmao.

I havent had anyone try to open anything on the side of my house. I have a camera mounted up where I could see if if there was motion there, and havent gotten anything.

Lololol, yes, the AESC guy that PG&E sent, the Sunrun folks, the county inspectors, and the PG&E QEW who came by to look through things all flipped up a stupid flap on at least one of the disconnects.

The electrician who installed my HPWC also looked. As did the neighbor with an EV who I tested the HPWC @ 48A.

But what's weird is neighbors that want to check out the Powerwalls all flip up the disconnect flap too. It's really weird how many people innately want to peer inside, and I don't understand why.

I even saw my gardener try to look inside the big azz 200A disconnect on the side of my house... so I padlocked that one shut too. Although that one seems to lock shut if it's in the closed position. I put a loto lock on there just in case.

The last Sunrun "code expert" at my house saw the padlocks and told me padlocking them shut was against code... but then the topic of conversation changed back to the conduits and weep holes.

I don't mean random people walking by the house wanting to look into the disconnects... although now I'm tempted to do an experiment...

1. Padlocking your disconnect lid closed is not against code.

2. Smaller amperage 240v disconnects don't have the lockout door when on feature for whatever reason.

3. Sounds like you need more labels! Lol

CAUTION - YOU MAY DIE OR EXPLODE IF YOU OPEN THIS COVER!
TO BE OPENED BY AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY!
4. Firefighters will have large bolt cutters, so won't care regardless

Lololol, yes, the AESC guy that PG&E sent, the Sunrun folks, the county inspectors, and the PG&E QEW who came by to look through things all flipped up a stupid flap on at least one of the disconnects.

The electrician who installed my HPWC also looked. As did the neighbor with an EV who I tested the HPWC @ 48A.

But what's weird is neighbors that want to check out the Powerwalls all flip up the disconnect flap too. It's really weird how many people innately want to peer inside, and I don't understand why.

I even saw my gardener try to look inside the big azz 200A disconnect on the side of my house... so I padlocked that one shut too. Although that one seems to lock shut if it's in the closed position. I put a loto lock on there just in case.

The last Sunrun "code expert" at my house saw the padlocks and told me padlocking them shut was against code... but then the topic of conversation changed back to the conduits and weep holes.

I don't mean random people walking by the house wanting to look into the disconnects... although now I'm tempted to do an experiment...
No locks on any of mine, yet

dont know amperage of my SINGLE large disconnect (yup just one ..dont be jelly) ..
but tesla put one of those wire loops w/ serial number on it tags? .. i know wont really keep ppl out but cant just casually open and i could tell if someone did ..
would not think ilegal to padlock since can still function .. could see ilegal to padlock lever in closed position somehow

Wow, I can't imagine neighbors wandering over and flipping open items on a neighbors' house. Different strokes for different folks...
where i grew up teens would mess w/ others breakers just to be you know whats .. so i could see them pulling down a disconnect that red handle is just too temping ..
but no could not see anyone doing that where we live now
also @holeydonut i'll bet it is just one or two curious kids if thats all they are doing is opening them

Last edited:
Lol the only thought I had on people checking/snooping out your panels was to shut off your electricity to leave you in the dark and rob you like in the movies!

Only locks on ours were put on by PG&E for the meter itself and the panel below it where the underground power comes to the meter. Nothing on the disconnect box.

Have not had this issue yet but it makes me glad I had them install the Powerwalls in my garage. They would have been on the side of my house where the light would be visible from the street and I figured kids (or kid-minded adults) would be compelled to have a look or mess with the toggle switches. They could of course do this with my AC disconnect or Backup Gateway of course. I’m not sure if I will lock either of them yet.

Because it's cheaper and there's no need to interact with the innards while energized? But the red "Danger" warning on the factory label should be much bigger, relative to all that other text.

Cheers, Wayne

IMO, the red "danger" icon kind of implies someone who access the innards will become Ironman or at least Jubilee capable of shooting cool stuff out of their hands.

you are sadly prob correct despite the warnings this could subject you to a lawsuit . .. you would prevail or your homeowners would settle but still the hassle / worry of it ...
think i'm gonna buy locks for my outside panel and my big arse dissconnect today 🙌🏼

Lol I'm still jealous you have weep holes. But now you'll have padlocks and weep holes 🙌🏼

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph