Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random questions on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping if anyone could give advice/answers to the following:

1) Does anyone know the origin of why it's called Model S? Were there previous prototypes (models A-R?). My theory is called S because it's a sedan. Just curious

2) In terms of those with navigation, I have seen the computer generate some very odd routes for path it proposes me to take, if I was not already familiar with the area I would take a path that had a lot more stops and turns etc rather than a more comfortable path that would allow me to go a continuous higher speed. I honestly can't imagine this circuitous path would save much on battery usage but even if it did its not worth the more painful path. Has anyone found an option where you can choose preference for a particular trip (say prioritize speed over battery saving). If I am in no threat of running out of battery I would much prefer a path that would allow me a higher constant speed. In navigations systems like in my Mercedes I can choose preferences like avoid tolls or avoid highways etc. Is there similar option with tesla system?

3) I have to read several posts about how Tesla goes through tires much faster than standard cars with tire wear requiring replacement in the 20-30k mile range. Is this because of heavier weight or because of driving pattern with hard acceleration? Anyone have more normal tire wear and if so what is your secret?

4) I know there is a term called vampire drain where you lose a small percentage daily of range if not plugged in. Has anyone experienced this while plugged in? Case in point I have a 90d with 350 miles on it hooked up to 80 amp wall charger at 90% setting. Last night had range at 257 miles when completed charge. This morning while it's still connected it reads 254. Why would it not remain at 257 if still is connected? Or does it have to go down a certain amount before charger kicks on again?

Thanks

2. Doesn't exist. I use my phone for that.

3. This is only true of 21" tires. There are many reports of 19" living 40k-50k miles.

4. It will vampire drain while plugged in, but after you lose a certain number of miles (can't remember, maybe 7?) the car will charge you back to your setpoint.

2. Doesn't exist. I use my phone for that.

3. This is only true of 21" tires. There are many reports of 19" living 40k-50k miles.

4. It will vampire drain while plugged in, but after you lose a certain number of miles (can't remember, maybe 7?) the car will charge you back to your setpoint.

Thanks. That's a real shame and huge miss about #2. Defeats whole purpose of having a gorgeous 17 inch screen and a very pricey nav upgrade if still have to rely on cellphone as primary nav tool

1.) I don't think I've seen a definitive answer - my thought was that it was because they did a lot of benchmarking off of the Mercedes S class and possibly the Jaguar S-type (which had been replaced by the XF before the first Model S was released, of course.)

There's also the theory that Elon's being a little bit unsubtle in his goal of making EVs seem sexy - He built the S and the X, Ford sued to deny him the planned E (Tesla Model 3, now,) and the thought was the the CUV version of the 3 might become the model Y.)
Walter

Thanks. That's a real shame and huge miss about #2. Defeats whole purpose of having a gorgeous 17 inch screen and a very pricey nav upgrade if still have to rely on cellphone as primary nav tool
The Nav gets better as time goes on. It's far better now then it was when I got my car. I don't bother to use the phone app anymore.

Lol on the S-E-X nomenclature. That would have been great trio of models.

Came up with another question

When on cruise control (tacc) does the slowing down that occurs automatically come from regenerative braking or standard breaking. Is it more efficient battery wise to engage cruise control as much as possible?

Regen, unless it needs to brake hard, then it's regular braking. The hypermillers will tell you that they can get better wh/mi from driving themselves instead of using TACC. I could believe it, but I enjoy the convenience of TACC/AP, so that's what I use.

Regen, unless it needs to brake hard, then it's regular braking.
That's how the Prius works. The Tesla has all the regen on the accelerator and the brakes are just the brakes. This makes "almost one pedal driving", no awkward transition, and a much simpler brake control system.

Hoping if anyone could give advice/answers to the following:

2) In terms of those with navigation, I have seen the computer generate some very odd routes for path it proposes me to take, if I was not already familiar with the area I would take a path that had a lot more stops and turns etc rather than a more comfortable path that would allow me to go a continuous higher speed. I honestly can't imagine this circuitous path would save much on battery usage but even if it did its not worth the more painful path. Has anyone found an option where you can choose preference for a particular trip (say prioritize speed over battery saving). If I am in no threat of running out of battery I would much prefer a path that would allow me a higher constant speed. In navigations systems like in my Mercedes I can choose preferences like avoid tolls or avoid highways etc. Is there similar option with tesla system?

I've had the same thing happen. Always made me wonder until I discovered the button showing traffic. Once I turned that on I could see the seemingly weird routes were trying to guide me around areas of bad traffic.

Appreciate the responses. As far as giving a circuitous route, in my instance I don't think it was traffic related as other path was pretty clear (I had traffic notice on)

Other questions I have (sorry) :

I know the model s is limited to 155 mph, is there any information out there about top speed if it wasn't limited?

When listening to the Internet radio that comes with car when I do a voice search it seems to create a playlist of songs similar to the song you searched for. Every now and then it plays a song I really love. I thought touching the heart icon would save that song but it just seems to only mean that it is a type of song I like, not actually saving it to a playlist. Is there a way to create a playlist of these random songs?

Appreciate the responses. As far as giving a circuitous route, in my instance I don't think it was traffic related as other path was pretty clear (I had traffic notice on)

Other questions I have (sorry) :

I know the model s is limited to 155 mph, is there any information out there about top speed if it wasn't limited?

When listening to the Internet radio that comes with car when I do a voice search it seems to create a playlist of songs similar to the song you searched for. Every now and then it plays a song I really love. I thought touching the heart icon would save that song but it just seems to only mean that it is a type of song I like, not actually saving it to a playlist. Is there a way to create a playlist of these random songs?

1. I don't think it would be all that much faster if the motor wasn't regulated because electric motors lose torque at maximum RPMs, plus the amount of air you're pushing would increase.

2. The best way is to record your songs in FLAC (a lossless encoding, so the music sounds a lot better when done this way) and then play favourites. Unfortunately, favourites won't shuffle at the current time.

Not with the version of Slacker provided free by Tesla. Slacker Premium lets you create playlists among other features.

Not with the version of Slacker provided free by Tesla. Slacker Premium lets you create playlists among other features.

I have read from other owners that if you have a Slacker Premium account, you can create custom playlists and such on your computer or phone, and use them in the car. The only drawback is the car has no capability to edit them. So you can listen to them all day long, but if you need to make a change (aside from liking or banning a song), you need to use your phone or computer.

To use it, you need to have an account that you set up on the Slacker Website or Phone App, and you would put those login credentials into the Tesla on the Settings Screen under Apps.

Once your car is logging in with that premium account, any edits you make on the phone or computer will show up in the car.

Yes, I have read that too although I only have the free one from Tesla.

It's not really *free.* Rather it is paid up for 8 years by Tesla. Slacker does have a free service, but that has commercials. Lots of them.

You can get the Slacker account information for your car from Tesla (they gave me my slacker account and password at delivery). If you log in using your car's information, the custom artist's list, lack of commercials and other preferences are available on your other device (smartphone, PC web client, etc).

It's not really *free.* Rather it is paid up for 8 years by Tesla. Slacker does have a free service, but that has commercials. Lots of them.

You can get the Slacker account information for your car from Tesla (they gave me my slacker account and password at delivery). If you log in using your car's information, the custom artist's list, lack of commercials and other preferences are available on your other device (smartphone, PC web client, etc).

Yes I did all of that and Tesla kindly gave me the account info. What I meant was "free" to me.

Nice tip. I didn't get that information at delivery but I will request it tomorrow.

Also, I was told that only one year of service would be included with the purchase of the car. Does that mean that I would need to pay Tesla for the additional 7 years?

Nice tip. I didn't get that information at delivery but I will request it tomorrow.

Also, I was told that only one year of service would be included with the purchase of the car. Does that mean that I would need to pay Tesla for the additional 7 years?
No. Tesla has not charged for the service yet. The last announcement about this said Tesla would pay for 4 years of Internet access. No info yet about cost after that, and they may change their mind again before then.