Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random thought...will the key fob be different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to have a flat credit card (or smaller) with an embedded RFID chip that could just stay in my wallet. No need to fumble with keys or a big fob, just walk up to the car and it unlocks itself, then I just drive away.

Agree, I suspect a step forward from the Model S key. Doors will unlock, open themselves, you get in, door self closes and you drive away. User programmable to determine which doors open automatically of course.

*This was a WAG, but is plausible.

If the key fob is the same 3 button design, perhaps a two or three second hold of the center button could raise both Falcon Wing doors for a presentation effect. Separate door raises would be done by pulling on the handle on either side of Model X. Another way to have unique remote opening capabilities are to have left, right and presentation buttons on the smart phone application.

This brings up the question of washing the vehicle. Extending the handles on Model S is required to dry the handles completely. If I accidentally open the door during the drying process, the door only pops open an inch. If I was to dry the Falcon Wing handle in the same manner, would the door suddenly rise? I hope that Tesla Motors has engineered the ability to immediately stop a rising door until I really want it to fully open. Optionally, having a more firm pull than Model S might help this situation.

I spotted a Model X Fob Mule.. can't see much since it is still heavily masked.

IMG_4324.JPG

These are all good and important points. And instead of waiting a couple weeks everyone should give their design suggestions, how about a poll on design features? By the way, when will the 1x1:18 Scale Diecast MX model be available, my Diecast MS model needs company.

I would love to have a flat credit card (or smaller) with an embedded RFID chip that could just stay in my wallet. No need to fumble with keys or a big fob, just walk up to the car and it unlocks itself, then I just drive away.

This, with something more secure than rfid, and unlock buttons on the card.
(Sits on wallet...)
forget the buttons. :)

Elon was very proud of the Model S key, but I can't imagine that a larger key in the shape of the X would be practical. With BMW and others making smarter keys, it seems like the right direction would either be something comparative (but better - press the button to summon the car!), or, as many have said, something credit-card sized.

That said, I obviously have a vested interested in the key if it does turn out to be similar to the S, and since I don't have an X reservation, I'll pay handsomely to borrow or acquire one of the first keys!

That said, I obviously have a vested interested in the key if it does turn out to be similar to the S, and since I don't have an X reservation, I'll pay handsomely to borrow or acquire one of the first keys!

You know Apple releases spec dimensions for new iPhones to the accessory channel months before release so on release day, there already is a strong market for 3rd-party products. Have you thought about approaching Tesla to see if you can do the same for the MX key specs?

You know Apple releases spec dimensions for new iPhones to the accessory channel months before release so on release day, there already is a strong market for 3rd-party products. Have you thought about approaching Tesla to see if you can do the same for the MX key specs?

It's a good thought, but Tesla are not interested in encouraging 3rd-party products unfortunately. I've tried many times to engage with them over the past couple of years, to no avail.