Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random thoughts after driving my wife's (pretty nice) ICE vehicle for the first time in a while:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Wait - why is the car so cold, and why isn't it ready to go once I fasten the seat belt??
  • How do I start this thing again?? Oh, right, push button on the dash... :rolleyes:
  • What's all that RACKET?!? Oh, right - ICE, and diesel, to boot...
  • Arrrgghhh - I didn't mean to activate the wipers!!
  • Where's the shifter again - oh, yeah - that big lever in the console
  • Whoa - started moving as soon as I shifted - hit the brakes, quick!
  • What's all that RACKET?!? - part deux
  • Noise changed - oh, right, this thing has a transmission!
  • (approaching a stoplight) - Brakes, brakes, brakes!
  • (squeezes throttle) - 425+ lb. ft. of torque at ~1300 rpm used to seem like a LOT! Now, notsomuch, at least compared with 475 lb. ft. @ ZERO rpm.
  • Wow - the B&O audio definitely doesn't sound as good as the system in my M3P
  • (squints) - How am I supposed to see the NAV on that tiny screen?!?!
  • Sure wish these seats were as comfy as mine...
  • I'm in a parking spot - why is the engine still running?
  • (walks away from the car) LOCK ALREADY, stupid car!
Don't get me wrong, hers is a nice car and we've enjoyed owning it, but my paradigm has permanently shifted! :)

I had a similar experience with a recent rental car. Biggest issue for me was that feeling of the car careening out of control whenever I lifted off the throttle. I've become so accustomed to regenerative braking that it felt downright dangerous to have to use an entirely separate pedal to begin braking!
Same. My 3 is in getting ceramic and window tint. Driving this clunky rental truck is awful. Even my kids are annoyed.

• Funny
Reactions: Zcd1
  • Wait - why is the car so cold, and why isn't it ready to go once I fasten the seat belt??
  • How do I start this thing again?? Oh, right, push button on the dash... :rolleyes:
  • What's all that RACKET?!? Oh, right - ICE, and diesel, to boot...
  • Arrrgghhh - I didn't mean to activate the wipers!!
  • Where's the shifter again - oh, yeah - that big lever in the console
  • Whoa - started moving as soon as I shifted - hit the brakes, quick!
  • What's all that RACKET?!? - part deux
  • Noise changed - oh, right, this thing has a transmission!
  • (approaching a stoplight) - Brakes, brakes, brakes!
  • (squeezes throttle) - 425+ lb. ft. of torque at ~1300 rpm used to seem like a LOT! Now, notsomuch, at least compared with 475 lb. ft. @ ZERO rpm.
  • Wow - the B&O audio definitely doesn't sound as good as the system in my M3P
  • (squints) - How am I supposed to see the NAV on that tiny screen?!?!
  • Sure wish these seats were as comfy as mine...
  • I'm in a parking spot - why is the engine still running?
  • (walks away from the car) LOCK ALREADY, stupid car!
Don't get me wrong, hers is a nice car and we've enjoyed owning it, but my paradigm has permanently shifted! :)

Your paradigm has shifted and there is not going back ... think flip phone .... o_O

Reactions: T3Tom and Saghost
Every time I get into a rental car and survey the vast array of chromed out gauges and buttons, I actually say out loud something like:

"Oh, for &%$3's sake. What is this, the space shuttle?"

Then they give you two big fobs, steel-cabled together. So you go from No Keys to Fat Wad of Keys.

And of course despite the panoply of instrumentation, there's never anything exotic that would actually help you, like basic built-in nav.

Every time I get into a rental car and survey the vast array of chromed out gauges and buttons, I actually say out loud something like:

"Oh, for &%$3's sake. What is this, the space shuttle?"

Then they give you two big fobs, steel-cabled together. So you go from No Keys to Fat Wad of Keys.

And of course despite the panoply of instrumentation, there's never anything exotic that would actually help you, like basic built-in nav.
I traveled for work every week for about 6 years and always had rentals. My SOP was to twist the keys together enough to break the stupid cable. (it isn't that hard) I couldn't stand having that huge chunk of plastic and metal in my pants, and that was before I was spoiled with a Tesla.

It always took a few days for me to get used to the console shifters again after getting a column shifter rental car, both ICE.

My biggest problem is shutting off the engine and remembering to lock the door. Luckily I always have plenty of people waiting to catch me on it. I've been known to sit there waiting for the door to close when I hit the brake as well, which is an X thing.

Solved that problem. Bought my wife an electric car. Had a 3 reservation, but a) she doesn't like low sedans and b) was wary of full electric so I got a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for her. It is dual motor electric drive with an ICE generator, so I don't have to put up with all the huffing and puffing, gear changing and so forth. It's a bit quirky, but not bad. Hopefully will do until the Y comes out.

Reactions: traxila
Devils advocate, I had the opposite experience renting a $12k ford fiesta.

It displayed and read my text messages aloud, and allowed me to respond hands-free. No idea why Tesla still doesn't have this feature when it's such a huge safety benefit.
My guess would be, "priorities." Once another company has the vast majority of things Tesla has deemed most important (I won't list them), then I'll start to feel the same way.

Reactions: StealthP3D
My guess would be, "priorities." Once another company has the vast majority of things Tesla has deemed most important (I won't list them), then I'll start to feel the same way.

In terms of safety alone, I'd say hands-free texting would be 1000% higher priority for me than auto lane change on nav or atari games. But maybe I'm out to lunch.

We have two ICE vehicles in addition to the Model 3 that I drive every day. There is definitely a learning curve getting back into the other cars. One of them even has a <<gasp>> manual transmission!

In comparison to the OP, I find that I actually enjoy the MT sports car even more now that I've been driving the Tesla. There are things I miss about the ICE car for sure. LIke taking my foot off the gas and coasting. Boy do I miss that on the highway. But I also miss regen and one pedal driving around town. Definitely better. And while I don't have range anxiety, considering the lowest I've ever run the car is 23%, and I don't miss going to the gas station at all, I do enjoy having one vehicle with a 750 mile range. And yes, we do use it.

I'm glad to have both.

The wipers.

My last ICE experience was last spring when I had a Cruze for a week for work. I never left it running, I don't think I left it unlocked. But I hit the wipers every single trip, all week long.

My wife and I both did the same thing on our ICE loaners! She told me one time she had to back out of a parking space and there was a car waiting, but instead of going into reverse she turned on the wiper.... She thinks the guy waiting was giving her dirty look as he probably thought she purposely delay leaving the parking to clean the perfectly clean windshield.

Reactions: Saghost
We have two ICE vehicles in addition to the Model 3 that I drive every day. There is definitely a learning curve getting back into the other cars. One of them even has a <<gasp>> manual transmission!

In comparison to the OP, I find that I actually enjoy the MT sports car even more now that I've been driving the Tesla. There are things I miss about the ICE car for sure. LIke taking my foot off the gas and coasting. Boy do I miss that on the highway. But I also miss regen and one pedal driving around town. Definitely better. And while I don't have range anxiety, considering the lowest I've ever run the car is 23%, and I don't miss going to the gas station at all, I do enjoy having one vehicle with a 750 mile range. And yes, we do use it.

I'm glad to have both.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate her car (Audi Q5 TDi) and its 650-mile range - I do! It's just that the Tesla's simplicity of operation and other advantages certainly seem like the future, while her car seems like the past. It's a comfortable, familiar past, but I'm looking forward!

Reactions: StealthP3D