TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Random trip: Sammamish -> Ellensburg, and back again

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brianman, Nov 9, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#1 brianman, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    P85, 19" wheels, OEM Goodyear tires
    Climate set at AC Off, non-Recirc, only Windshield Vent, Fan @ 1
    Driver seat heater @ 1
    Outside temperature range observed via in-car display: [35F, 50F]

Roughly two hour break between the outbound and the return trip (refill the car and the driver). Weather looked about the same, but I presume it was slightly colder for the return trip as it was later in the day. Wet both directions, mostly drizzle. Most of the route is I-90 with speed limit mostly 70 mph, some 65 mph, and a little 60 mph.

Outbound trip: cruise control set at speed limit + 6

Started with ~217 mi Rated
    100.2 mi / 42.8 kWh / 427 Wh/mi
    SammamishEllensburgOutbound.jpg

Return trip: cruise control set at speed limit + 0

Started with 150 mi Rated
    100.2 mi / 35.5 kWh / 354 Wh/mi
    SammamishEllensburgReturn.jpg

2. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Thanks.

Just did my first cold weather day trip of a route I regularly drive - 134 miles round trip (+ about 5 miles looking for parking etc.). Went from my home to Charlottesville for a basketball game. Outbound temp 40's, return late night temp 33F. Hilly drive and drove fairly aggressively outbound as we were running late, avg speed about 65+, less aggressively but still speed limit + 5 most of the way back. I used heat to keep temp at 69, no seat heaters in car, did not use range mode. Left home with 200 miles rated, got back with 11. My average Wh/mile was 340's. My lifetime is 305, and that's the first time I've averaged that much for a road trip. I was concerned enough about the range to keep an eye on the energy graph, but never really anxious as I know the route well and I set the cruise on 74 mph for the last 10 mile stretch of 70 mph freeway before getting home.

3. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Brian, just curious, where did you refill in Ellensburg?

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Roadster HPC on 3rd St.

5. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Apologies if I've missed it on the forums. Do you have your own adapter or is there one there?

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yes, I have an adapter. Yes, there is one there but I don't have the code for the lockbox (and don't need it).

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#7 ChadS, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Thread on the Ellensburg adapter is HERE. Map to help you find it is HERE. Confirmation that it won't be needed long because Ellensburg will have a Supercharger by the end of the year is HERE.

I prefer driving on highways 2 and 20; but the I-90 trip isn't bad and Ellensburg is a nice place to hang around for a couple of hours.

Analyzing brianman's trip using my numbers (HERE):

- Assuming overall average was 74mph, add 22% to rated consumption.
    - Temperature was over a range; but you used seat heater with low HVAC, and lows were probably temporary at the pass so I'll add 7% for HVAC consumption.
    - Roads were damp, so that adds 2% to consumption.
    - You went over a 3,000' pass and Ellensburg is about at 1,500'. That adds 21 miles of consumption on the way there; you should have gained about 3 miles on the way back.

The trip was 100 miles, so the math is easy. My numbers (which obviously have some slack in them, and don't account for winds) predict you used 152 miles there, and 128 miles on the way back. You actually used 150 miles there, and 125 on the way back. Cool.