Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random unauthorized Full self driving capability upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this happened to anyone else. I noticed a 9600 dollar charge on my Visa card from tesla. I went to the app and the upgrade was done on Dec 24, 2019. My car has been on the shop for the last month from an accident. I know this can be done through the App but I certainly did not authorize this.

Called VISA and they said check with Tesla first. We shall see how this evolves?

I was charged on 12/26/19 for FSD which I did not purchase. I have disputed the charge with my credit card company. my wife tried to call Tesla and they said that we purchased it through the app or through the car. Our car is sitting in the garage and we are out on a family trip and rented a family van. We have not accessed the app or have been in the car since the 25th. Something is definitely fishy. Tesla tried to tell us that there are no refunds for software purchases.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: exxer and kavyboy
Interesting I was told they were investigating --I was told that I would be getting a refund. Luckily the software is not on my car and also could not be on my car as it requires an additional module. Tesla was pretty good when I called them, but the delay is not really acceptable . Since I am not a very trusting person, I put a dispute already with VISA as there was no way I made this purchase. Still looking forward to the truck!

• Disagree
Reactions: exxer
Like all saved credit card info online, Tesla should be requesting the CCV security code on the back of the card to authorize purchase. Even Apple Pay / App Store asks for some type of authorization.

*edit
Through the Tesla App it’s done via Apple Pay. Something doesn’t make sense.

I was charged $7542 for FSD on my 3-month old Model X yesterday night that I hadn’t placed any order. I called Tesla support 5 mins later and they closed already. I called Tesla this morning and they refused to provide me the refund. Is it how Tesla is trying to meet Q4 number? This is ridiculous and unethical. I have called credit card to dispute this charge.

I was charged $7542 for FSD on my 3-month old Model X yesterday night that I hadn’t placed any order. I called Tesla support 5 mins later and they closed already. I called Tesla this morning and they refused to provide me the refund. Is it how Tesla is trying to meet Q4 number? This is ridiculous and unethical. I have called credit card to dispute this charge.

I am very happy with basic autopilot feature which is included when I purchased the Model X back in 10/19. This is a great feature that I use it all the time when I am on the freeways especially on long road trips.

this is VERY concerning to me.

first of all, the policy of 'no refunds on software options' is pure BS and tesla must know that.

second, android (I can't speak to ios) is full of security holes, vendors are notorious for NOT keeping android patched/updated and with broken ecosystem that 'phones' are all about these days (stealing your info on so-called free apps; privilege abuse, shady practices) a $7k charge could have very serious consequences if this was due to a break-in on your phone or some other fraud.

we need to LOUDLY request that tesla provide a safety mechanism (could be a PIN code or email confirmation that you have to click on and maybe even confirm with CVV info) on this in-app purchase.

I'd even suggest a user option to fully disable in-app purchases (for tesla, at least).

does anyone keep the older .apk's around? I may want to go back to the previous version, just for security reasons.

this really turns me off big-time. I've grown to distrust all things android. without any protection, this is just begging to be abused.

I do wonder if calling the credit card company and disputing it would work?

how is there legal proof that YOU clicked that button? does not seem like there is enough of a legal audit trail (ianal, though).

Reactions: dhanson865

Does it show up under the Purchased tab in the app, or just on your card?

disputing a charge with your credit card company is NOT guaranteed to come out in your favor.

I recently had an ID theft issue, found a bunch of charges on my card I didn't make and it took well over 3 months to get it resolved. (in my case, they actually caught the criminal gang and that was the ONLY thing that helped me with my credit card company; what a nightmare!)

you don't want to just assume your CC company will side with you. that does NOT always happen!

Reactions: Stel
Agree, it depends on what CC company you use. My experience was only positive so far with mine. But the general rule - if you didn't authorize the transaction, you contact the merchant for refund.If that doesn't work, then you dispute it.

Easy dispute process is one of the reasons people use Credit Cards AFAIK.

again, my bank threw me under the bus, so to speak.

in the US, there is a magstripe style card (older) and 'chip based' but in the US, the chip based ones are NOT 'chip and pin'. that would actually be somewhat secure. but the US model is the lazy model. its JUST a chip, so its no more secure than the magstripe versions.

when I had a problem with my CC company, they cited that all the purchases were done with 'chip' based cards. they asked me if I had lost my card or ever let it out of my possession. I told them no, I'm the only one who has access to my card and it was never lost or stolen. that was all they needed to claim 'chips are infallable. therefore your fault. pay up!'. I could not believe it!! they had nothing proving it was me (it was not me, I have the court papers showing the criminal gang was doing this to all the locals; it was, in fact, a physical break-in to our mailboxes and had been going on for quite some time. the police caught them and that was the only thing that saved me).

ymmv, but I'm never going to assume that the bank is on my side. the bank is only on the BANKs side. they are not there for you, no matter what they say, publicly.

Easy dispute process is one of the reasons people use Credit Cards AFAIK.

it just takes some direct experience to understand that there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to support you, the customer. its ALL up to the bank. they have all the power and you have, essentially, none.

that's how it works in the real world. the real world is not a disney fairy tale where good always wins.

• Disagree
Reactions: drtimhill and ilyak
In the US, the Fair Credit Billing Act limits your liability for fraudulent charges to $50. Per the law, you have 60 days from the date you got an incorrect bill to make the claim but from a practical perspective, call them as soon as you discover something amiss. There are more details on the process and the deadline for you and CC in the link.