Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Window Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 50% of the time, my window(s) will stop rolling up and start rolling down. I can't seem to recreate the issue on demand but it happens often enough that I now keep my finders ready to intercept the window on the down to right it back up.

Has anyone else come across this?

For what it’s worth, I had this issue on my Model 3 and calibrating did not fix it. Mobile service came out, he said it’s a common issue involving a trim piece that comes loose inside the door which triggers the pinch protection. He resolved it. Not sure if Y is affected by anything similar.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have this problem and can recreate it consistently. It happens when I go over a bump while the window is in upward motion. For example, it just so happens that there’s a natural “speed bump” across the end of my driveway. When approaching home, I’ll stop and get the mail from my roadside mailbox. As I pull away from the mailbox and start turning into the driveway, the window is on the way up. As soon as I hit the bump, the window retreats. Every single time. Now that I know what to look for I can recreate it on many other bumps. Perhaps it’s an obstruction-sensor calibration issue. Window recalibration procedure has no effect on symptoms.

I have this problem and can recreate it consistently. It happens when I go over a bump while the window is in upward motion. For example, it just so happens that there’s a natural “speed bump” across the end of my driveway. When approaching home, I’ll stop and get the mail from my roadside mailbox. As I pull away from the mailbox and start turning into the driveway, the window is on the way up. As soon as I hit the bump, the window retreats. Every single time. Now that I know what to look for I can recreate it on many other bumps. Perhaps it’s an obstruction-sensor calibration issue. Window recalibration procedure has no effect on symptoms.
I have only ever had this when I'm driving on a bumpy road. The window going up senses the bump and thinks it is closing on something (an arm or hand etc) and then stops and/or reverses. OP, are you experiencing this on a bump road?

Any solutions to this?
I recalibrated it and it didn’t do anything.
It’s so random for me. Roll down passenger and driver window and when driving rolling it up and it stops half way suddenly.
I too could recreate on "speed bumps" about 75% of the time, so a mobile tech came out and realigned my doors. In the 2 months since, it's happened once as opposed to almost daily.

• Love
Reactions: everydaychris
I have a 2021 model Y and the windows display this behavior when driving over bumps on the windows side. Took it in for service and this is the reply from Tesla service:

When driving over bumps normal operation for window to drop back down.

I've never experienced this with any other car so not sure why they say this is "normal operation"